Efficient Methods for Solving Non-Power Series Differential Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of power series and various methods for solving a given equation without using power series. Suggestions are made to divide through by certain terms and integrate directly, or to use a trial function. The possibility of a typo in the equation is also mentioned and the solutions for both cases are provided using Maple and Wolfram. The conversation concludes with plans to use reduction of order to generate a second solution.
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

I need to find a way to solve this without using power series:

Θ"/Θ' + .5Pr*η - .5Pr*Θ/Θ' = 0​

The Attempt at a Solution

I have one idea and that is to divide through by Θ' to get

Θ"/Θ' + .5Pr*η - .5Pr*Θ/Θ' = 0​

The first term Θ"/Θ' = ln[ Θ' ]'

So if I could re write the last term in a similar fashion, I could integrate directly ... but I am losing a lot of time just guessing and checking.

Any thoughts on methods?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are Pr and [itex] \eta [/itex] constants with respect to [itex] \Theta [/itex]? If so, why not just multiply though by [itex] \Theta' [/itex] to get

[tex]\Theta '' + \frac12 P_r \eta \Theta' + \frac12 P_r \Theta = 0 [/tex]
which is now in a form that can be easily solved using the trial function [itex] \Theta(t) = e^{mt} [/itex].

Assuming this is a followup from your other thread and the second term has an independent variable in it, I plugged this equation into Maple:

y'' + axy' + ay = 0

It gave this:

[tex]y=\frac{C_1erf(\frac{x\sqrt{{-2a}}}{2})
+C_2}{e^{\frac 1 2 ax^2}}[/tex]

where erf is the error function (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Error_function).

[Edit] On the other hand if you have a typo and meant

y'' + axy' - ay = 0 then Maple gives

[tex]C_1x + C_2\left(-e^{-\frac {ax^2}{2}}-x\sqrt{\frac{\pi a}{2}}erf(x\sqrt{\frac{a}{2}}) \right)[/tex]

Last edited:
LCKurtz said:
Assuming this is a followup from your other thread and the second term has an independent variable in it, I plugged this equation into Maple:

y'' + axy' + ay = 0

It gave this:

[tex]y=\frac{C_1erf(\frac{x\sqrt{{-2a}}}{2})
+C_2}{e^{\frac 1 2 ax^2}}[/tex]

where erf is the error function (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Error_function).

[Edit] On the other hand if you have a typo and meant

y'' + axy' - ay = 0 then Maple gives

[tex]C_1x + C_2\left(-e^{-\frac {ax^2}{2}}-x\sqrt{\frac{\pi a}{2}}erf(x\sqrt{\frac{a}{2}}) \right)[/tex]

Hi LC! I plugged it into Wolfram and got the second one. This lead me to "guess" that y1 = cx and now use reduction of order to generate a second solution. I will post back with results/questions :smile:

Thanks again!

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates an unknown function to its derivatives. It describes how a quantity changes over time or space, based on the rate of change of the quantity itself.

2. What is the difference between an ordinary and a partial differential equation?

An ordinary differential equation involves a single independent variable, while a partial differential equation involves multiple independent variables. Ordinary differential equations are used to model systems that change over time, while partial differential equations are used to model systems that change over both time and space.

3. What are some real-world applications of differential equations?

Differential equations are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology to model and understand complex systems. Some examples include predicting population growth, analyzing electrical circuits, and determining the trajectory of a projectile.

4. How do you solve a differential equation?

The method for solving a differential equation depends on its type and complexity. Some common techniques include separation of variables, substitution, and using integrating factors. Advanced methods such as series solutions and Laplace transforms can also be used for more complex equations.

5. Why are differential equations important?

Differential equations are important because they allow us to mathematically model and understand the behavior of complex systems. They are used in various scientific and engineering fields to make predictions, analyze data, and design solutions for real-world problems.