1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential equation

1. Nov 1, 2012 #1

fxo

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use L'Hospitals rule to show that [itex]lim x->0 x^a ln(x) = 0 [/itex]

I don't know how to solve this. I guess the first thing to do is to transform it in some way so that one can use L'Hospitals rule, but I don't know how.

Thank you!

EDIT: a>0

It's not a differential equation as the headline says, my bad.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is there something else you haven't told us? Like ##a>0##? Write it like this:$$
    \lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac {\ln x}{\frac 1 {x^a}}$$

4. Nov 1, 2012 #3

fxo

Oh sorry you're right I totally missed that a>0. I get it then.

Can I ask a follow-up question based on this one?

By setting x=ln(t) in the equation above(the one I asked for help on first) show that:

$$
    \lim_{x\rightarrow -∞} |x|^a e^x = 0$$

This one really bugs my mind I just don't get it.

5. Nov 1, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You should note that in the original limit, it is really ##x\rightarrow 0^+##. What happens if you substitute ##x=\ln t## in the original problem?

6. Nov 1, 2012 #5

fxo

$$
    \lim_{ln(t)\rightarrow 0}\frac {\ln (ln(t))}{\frac 1 {ln(t)^a}}$$

So I get $$
    ln(ln(t))ln^a(t)$$

But that expression don't tell me much all I know is that it's root should be e.

7. Nov 1, 2012 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Woops, I didn't mean that. I meant to try ##t=\ln x## which is ##x=e^t##. I expect that is a typo in your text.

8. Nov 1, 2012 #7

fxo

##\lim_{e^t\rightarrow 0}\frac {\ln (e^t}{\frac 1 {e^t^a}}##

I don't really get it what's the connection to the new limit, do they want me to change the e^x to x=ln(t) and get |x|^a * t instead?

9. Nov 1, 2012 #8

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

C'mon, do the algebra simplification. And express it as$$
    \lim_{t\rightarrow\, ?}....$$Then you might see a connection to your new problem.

10. Nov 2, 2012 #9

fxo

By setting ##x=e^t## in the first one I got

$$
    \lim_{t\rightarrow\, 0} te^t^a $$
    I'm starting to see that it's close to the form in b but not exactly, should I use L'Hospitals rule from here to show that as this goes to infinity the limit goes to zero?

11. Nov 2, 2012 #10

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Tex won't accept e^t^a with no parentheses. Anyway, do you consider that to be simplified? It is more properly written ##(e^t)^a##, but still not simplified until you write it as ##e^{at}##. And you have ##t\rightarrow 0##. If ##x=e^t## and ##x\rightarrow 0^+##, does ##t\rightarrow 0##? What should it be?

That being said, you are correct that you can massage it into ##|x|e^x## form but it still isn't in the ##|x|^ae^x## form requested. So I'm afraid my suggestion to correct what I think is a misprint isn't going to finish it. To tell the truth, I don't see why your author wants you to do it that way anyway. It is easy to work it directly. Letting ##x = -t## we have$$
    \lim_{x\rightarrow {-\infty}}|x|^ae^x=\lim_{t\rightarrow \infty}t^ae^{-t}
    =\lim_{t\rightarrow \infty}\frac{t^a}{e^{t}}$$which you can now do with repeating L'Hospitals rule until the exponent on ##t## goes negative.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook