Solving a Differential Equation with a Constant and Initial Conditions

In summary, the conversation discusses a specific differential equation with constant values and a given solution involving a hyperbolic secant function. The conversation also mentions the steps taken to reach the solution and the difficulties in obtaining it through Maple.
alejandrito29
Hello

I need help with the following differential equation:

[tex](1-\frac{gh}{c^2}) A(u) - \frac{h^2}{3} A''(u) - \frac{3}{2h} A(u)^2 =0 [/tex]

with [tex]g,h,c=constant[/tex]

the answer has a [tex] \sech^2 [/tex] with [tex]A(0)=A_0[/tex] and [tex]A'(0)=0[/tex]

thanksution[/b]

Physics news on Phys.org
hello alejandrito29! :smile:

that's A'' = pA - qA2 with p and q constant

start by multiplying both sides by A', and then integrating :wink:

differential equation1

i have the differential equation

[tex] A''=p A - q A^2 [/tex]

i multiplying by A' both sides then

[tex] A' A''=p A A' - q A^2A' [/tex] then

[tex] (\frac{1}{2}(A')^2)'=\frac{p}{2} (A^2)' - \frac{q}{3} (A^3)' [/tex]
then i integer and:

[tex] (\frac{1}{2}(A')^2)=\frac{p}{2} (A^2) - \frac{q}{3} (A^3) [/tex]

but i write in maple this differential equation and i don't obtain the solution. This solution must have of the way [tex] A(x)=k_1 sech ^2 (k_2 x) [/tex]

help please

Last edited:

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes how a quantity changes over time or in relation to other variables. It involves one or more derivatives of an unknown function.

2. What are the types of differential equations?

The three main types of differential equations are ordinary differential equations, partial differential equations, and stochastic differential equations. Ordinary differential equations involve only one independent variable, while partial differential equations involve multiple independent variables. Stochastic differential equations incorporate randomness or uncertainty into the equation.

3. How are differential equations used in science?

Differential equations are used in many fields of science, including physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering. They are used to model and understand complex systems and phenomena, such as the motion of objects, population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits.

4. What is the order of a differential equation?

The order of a differential equation is the highest derivative present in the equation. For example, a first-order differential equation contains only first derivatives, while a second-order differential equation contains second derivatives.

5. What are initial conditions and boundary conditions in differential equations?

Initial conditions refer to the values of the unknown function and its derivatives at a specific point in time. They are necessary to solve a differential equation and determine a unique solution. Boundary conditions, on the other hand, refer to the values of the unknown function at the boundaries of the domain. They are used to determine a specific solution among a family of possible solutions.