Thanks for pointing that out! I'll make sure to double check my work next time.

I wont make that mistake again. Thankyou both for your help. I can sleep easy now :-)In summary, the conversation discusses finding another linearly independent solution for the given ordinary differential equation, t^2x''-tx'+x=0, when x(t)=t is already known as a solution. It is suggested to use a solution of the form x(t) = ty(t), and after substitution and integration, the solution y(t) = C'e^{-t} is obtained. However, it is discovered that a mistake was made and the correct solution is x(t) = t\ln(|t|). The conversation also touches upon the use of integration by parts and separation of variables in solving differential equations.
Oxymoron
Consider the differential equation

[tex]t^2x''-tx'+x=0[/tex]

Given that [tex]x(t)=t[/tex] is a solution of the ordinary differential equation, find another linearly independent solution.

[tex]\textsc{SOLUTION}[/tex]

Since we know [tex]x(t) = t[/tex] is a solution, the general solution of the ODE will be of the form [tex]x(t) = Kt + Kty(t)[/tex], where [tex]y(t)[/tex] is some function linearly independent to [tex]x(t) = t[/tex]. This suggests that we utilize a solution of the form:

[tex]x(t) = ty(t)[/tex]

Take [tex]x(t) = ty(t)[/tex]. Then

[tex]x'(t) = y(t) + ty'(t)[/tex]
[tex]x''(t) = 2y'(t) + y''(t)[/tex]

Substitute this back into the original ODE we get

[tex]t^2\left(2y'(t) + y''(t)\right) - t\left(y(t) + ty'(t)\right) + ty(t) = 0[/tex]
[tex]t^2y''(t)+t^2y'(t) -ty(t) +ty(t) = 0[/tex]
[tex]t^2y''(t)+t^2y'(t) = 0[/tex]
[tex]t^2\left(y''(t)+y'(t)\right) = 0[/tex]
[tex]y''(t) + y'(t) = 0[/tex]

Integrating both sides with respect to [tex]t[/tex] we obtain

[tex]y'(t) + y(t) = C[/tex]

Rearranging

[tex]y'(t) = -y(t) + C[/tex]

This differential equation is separable

[tex]\frac{dy(t)}{dt} = -y(t) + C[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy(t)}{(-y(t)+C)} = dt[/tex]

[tex]\int \frac{dy(t)}{(-y(t)+C)} = \int dt[/tex]

[tex]-\ln|y(t)+C| = t[/tex]

[tex]-\ln|y(t)|\ln|C|=t[/tex]

[tex]\ln\left|\frac{1}{y(t)}\right|C = t[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{y(t)} = e^{tC'} [/tex]

[tex]y(t) = e^{-tC'}[/tex]

[tex]y(t) = C'e^{-t}[/tex]

Therefore [tex]x(t) = ty(t) = C'te^{-t}[/tex] is another linearly independent solution.

But when I use Maple (to check that this solution works), it says that [tex]y(t) = C'e^{-t}[/tex] is not a solution. Instead is solves the ODE and finds that [tex]x(t) = t[/tex] and [tex]x(t) = \ln|t|[/tex] are the solutions. So I must have made a mistake somewhere??

Physics news on Phys.org
Oxymoron said:
Consider the differential equation

[tex]t^2x''-tx'+x=0[/tex]

Given that [tex]x(t)=t[/tex] is a solution of the ordinary differential equation, find another linearly independent solution.

This suggests that we utilize a solution of the form:

[tex]x(t) = ty(t)[/tex]

[tex]x''(t) = 2y'(t) + y''(t)[/tex]

You missed a "t".

[tex]x''(t) = 2y'(t) + ty''(t)[/tex]

ehild

Thankyou SOOOOOOO Much. That is it. It all works now. :-)

Well, kind of. I'm stuck again.

[tex]x(t) = ty(t)[/tex]

[tex]x''(t) = 2y'(t) + ty''(t)[/tex]

Substitute this back into the original ODE we get

[tex]t^2\left(2y'(t) + ty''(t)\right) - t\left(y(t) + ty'(t)\right) + ty(t) = 0[/tex]
[tex]t^3y''(t)+t^2y'(t) -ty(t) +ty(t) = 0[/tex]
[tex]t^3y''(t)+t^2y'(t) = 0[/tex]
[tex]t^2\left(ty''(t)+y'(t)\right) = 0[/tex]
[tex]ty''(t) + y'(t) = 0[/tex]

Rearranging

[tex]y''(t) +\frac{1}{t}y'(t) = 0[/tex]

Integrating both sides with respect to [tex]t[/tex] we obtain

[tex]\int y''(t) + \int\frac{1}{t}y'(t) = C[/tex]

Cant solve this? Is there an easier way? Or am I missing something?

Last edited:
Make the substitution

[tex] y'(t)=u(t) [/tex]

Daniel.

[tex] \int u'(t)dt + \int \frac{1}{t}u(t)dt = 0[/tex]

Integration by parts

[tex] u(t) + \left(\frac{1}{t}\left(\int u(t)\right)\right) - \left(\int u(t)\right)\left(-\frac{1}{t^2}\right) = 0[/tex]

But [tex]\int u(t) = y(t)[/tex]

[tex] y'(t) + \left[\frac{1}{t}y(t) - \left(y(t)\left(-\frac{1}{t^2}\right)\right)\right] = 0[/tex]

[tex]y'(t) + \left[\frac{1}{t}y(t) + \frac{1}{t^2}y(t)\right] = 0[/tex]

[tex]y'(t) + y(t)\left(\frac{1}{t} + \frac{1}{t^2}\right) = 0[/tex]

[tex]y'(t) + y(t)\left(\frac{t+1}{t^2}\right) = 0[/tex]

Am I going ok?

Oxymoron said:
Integration by parts

[tex] u(t) + \left(\frac{1}{t}\left(\int u(t)\right)\right) - \left(\int u(t)\right)\left(-\frac{1}{t^2}\right) = 0[/tex]

Why do you make it so complicated?
Have you learned about "separation of variables"? Collect all terms containing the unknown function at one side of the differential equation and collect all the terms containing "t" on the other side.

[tex] u'(t)dt + \frac{1}{t}u(t) = 0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{u'}{u}=-\frac{1}{t}[/tex]

Integrate both sides

[tex]\int {\frac{u'(t)}{u(t)}dt} = -\int {\frac{1}{t}dt} [/tex]

You can change the integration variable on the left side to u as u'(t)dt = du.

[tex]\int {\frac{1}{u}du} = -\int {\frac{1}{t}dt} [/tex]

[tex] \ln(u) = - \ln(|t|) \rightarrow u=1/t [/tex].

Now you have to integrate u to get y.

[tex] y=\ln(|t| \rightarrow x=t\ln(|t|)[/tex]

[tex] x = t\ln(|t|) [/tex] is the other linearly independent solution.

ehild

That is good new ehild. I actually worked that out just prior to handing in my assignment (why did I make it so complicated? Good question.) but neglected to post back with my findings. Anyway, this is good news because I submitted work similar to yours so I should get it right.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is an equation that involves an unknown function and its derivatives. It is used to describe how a quantity changes over time or in relation to other variables.

2. What is the difference between an ordinary and partial differential equation?

An ordinary differential equation involves a single independent variable, while a partial differential equation involves multiple independent variables. Ordinary differential equations are typically used for one-dimensional systems, while partial differential equations are used for multi-dimensional systems.

3. How are differential equations used in real life?

Differential equations are used to model a wide range of phenomena in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They can be used to predict the behavior of physical systems, analyze population growth, and design control systems, among other applications.

4. What are the different methods for solving differential equations?

There are several methods for solving differential equations, including separation of variables, substitution, and using series or power series solutions. Other techniques such as Laplace transforms and numerical methods like Euler's method can also be used.

5. Why are differential equations important in mathematics?

Differential equations are important in mathematics because they provide a powerful tool for understanding and analyzing complex systems. They also have numerous real-world applications and are used extensively in scientific research and engineering fields.