1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Equation

1. May 17, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a differential equation: [itex]\ddot{x} -2\dot{x} + 5x= 10 + 13cos(3t)[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

x(t) = xc + xp
    where xc is the Complementary Function and xp is the Particular Integral.

3. The attempt at a solution

I have formed and solved the auxiliary equation:

[itex]m^{2} - 2m + 5 = 0[/itex]

[itex]m_{1} = 1 + 2i , m_{2} = 1 - 2i[/itex]

How would I go about forming xc = et(Acos2t + Bsin2t) ?

Furthermore, how would I choose a trial function to determine the Particular Integral?

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2014 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's "complementary".

I don't understand that question. You did just "form" it, didn't you?

Well, since you need a constant and a ##\cos t## after you differentiate your ##x_p## I would suggest something of the form ##x_p = A + B\cos t + C\sin t##.

4. May 17, 2014 #3
    I give up with English. Fixed the OP.

We have taught to from what is called an auxiliary function by taking the coeffeicents of [itex]\ddot{x}, \dot{x}, [/itex]and [itex]x[/itex] and (say a, b, c) and forming the equation

[itex]am^{2} + bm + c[/itex]

and then solving this equation to find 2 values of m (m1 and m2) which are to then form the basis of the complementary function xc. The complementary function I've given above is what I have to form given my values m1 and m2.

That makes sense, thanks. In the given answer a constant 3 has been added so that it reads:

##x_p = A + B\cos 3t + C\sin 3t##. Is there any particular reason that has been chosen?

5. May 17, 2014 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your original post had a ##\cos t## on the right side. Was that a typing error and it was supposed to be ##\cos(3t)##? That would be the only reason to use ##3t## in the trig functions for your ##x_p##.

6. May 17, 2014 #5
    Ahh yes, my mistake. Thank you.

Do you have any idea about forming the complementary function?

7. May 17, 2014 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You already have the complementary function (i.e., the solution to the homogeneous problem). Are you asking about how to write a particular solution (not the complementary solution)? (BTW, the p subscript in xp stands for "particular.")

If not, then I don't understand what you're having trouble with.

8. May 17, 2014 #7
    I don't know how to go from having m1 and m2 to making the equation for xc. The equation in my post has been given to me in the answer, I don't know how to get it myself.

9. May 17, 2014 #8

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your characteristic equation comes by looking for a solution ##x=e^{mt}## and you have found that ##m = 1\pm 2i##. That means the general solution of the homogeneous equation is$$
    x_c = Ae^{(1+2i)t} + Be^{(1-2i)t}= e^{t}(Ae^{2it} + Be^{-2it})$$Now use the Euler formulas for the complex exponentials in terms of sines and cosines to get it in the {sine,cosine} form.

10. May 18, 2014 #9
    ##x_c = Ae^{(1+2i)t} + Be^{(1-2i)t}= e^{t}(Ae^{2it} + Be^{-2it})##

I did this, but found that I get:

##x_c = e^{t}((A + B)cos2t + (A - B)isin2t)##

Can these arbitrary constants be combined to yield something like:

##x_c = e^{t}(Ccos2t + Disin2t)## for some arbitrary constants C, D ?

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  11. May 18, 2014 #10

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, of course. Since A and B are arbitrary constants, so are A+ B and A- B.

12. May 18, 2014 #11
    Thanks.

One more question. Is the ##i## term meant to be present here:

##x_c = e^{t}(Ccos2t + Disin2t)## ?

13. May 18, 2014 #12

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Include the ##i## in the ##D##. While it appears the constants C and D may be complex, if the DE has real coefficients and real boundary conditions, they will come out real. If you left your answer in the ##\{e^{2it},e^{-2it}\}## form the constants would come out complex.

14. May 18, 2014 #13
    Oh I see, thanks a lot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted