Finding the Second Solution for a System with a Repeated Eigenvalue

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a given matrix equation with a repeated eigenvalue of 2 and only one eigenvector. The solution is found using a specific procedure, resulting in the equation X(t) = ce^(2t)(1,1) + de^(2t)(t,1). The process involves finding a second solution using the eigenvector and a constant vector.
Buri

Homework Statement

I'm told to solve the following:

X' = (1 1; -1 3)X

Where (1 1) is the first row and (-1 3) is the second row.

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so I calculated teh eigenvalues and I got repeated eigenvalue of 2. I calculated the eigenvector and got (1,1). So a solution would be X(t) = ce^(2t)(1,1).

My text considers the matrix (a 1; 0 a) before the problems and goes on to find a eigenvalue with eigenvector, but then adds another solution to it so getting:

X(t) = ce^(at)(1,0) + de^(at)(t,1)

I understand how they got it in that one, but I'm not exactly sure how to go about finding one for mine. Any help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There's a procedure for this. If a system [itex]\vec{X}^{\prime}=A\vec{X}[/itex] has a repeated eigenvalue [itex]\lambda[/itex] and there is only one eigenvector [itex]\vec{K}[/itex] associated with it (as you have here), then the second solution [itex]\vec{X}_2[/itex] that you seek is found as follows.

[tex]\vec{X}_2=\vec{K}te^{\lambda t}+\vec{P}e^{\lambda t}[/tex],

where [itex]\vec{P}[/itex] satisfies:

[tex]\left(A-\lambda I\right)\vec{P}=\vec{K}[/tex].

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves an unknown function and its derivatives. It is used to model and describe various physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. Why do we need differential equations?

Differential equations are important because they allow us to understand and predict how a system will change over time. They are often used in scientific and engineering fields to model complex systems that cannot be represented by simple algebraic equations.

3. What are the types of differential equations?

There are several types of differential equations, including ordinary differential equations (ODEs), partial differential equations (PDEs), and stochastic differential equations (SDEs). ODEs involve only one independent variable, PDEs involve multiple independent variables, and SDEs involve random variables.

4. How do I solve a differential equation?

The method for solving a differential equation depends on its type and complexity. Some common techniques include separation of variables, integrating factors, and using specific formulas for certain types of equations. It is important to have a solid understanding of calculus and algebra to successfully solve differential equations.

5. Can differential equations be applied in real-world problems?

Yes, differential equations are widely used in various scientific and engineering fields to model and solve real-world problems. For example, they can be used to predict the weather, design electrical circuits, and analyze population dynamics. Many real-world problems involve change over time, making differential equations a useful tool for understanding and solving them.