Differential Equations Homework- Find General Solution

In summary, for the first problem, the general solution can be found by distributing the exponential and using the annhilator method. It is recommended to review the differential operators chapter for a better understanding. For the second problem, using the power series method can help solve for the general solution.
ballajr

Homework Statement

1) Find the general solution to:
(t2D2 - 2tD - 28I)[y] = (-17 + 48t - 97t2 + 6t3)e-t

2) Find the general solution to:
(D + tI)2[y] = 3 + 3t + 6t2 + t3+ t4

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I think for this one, I just need to distribute the exponential and then use the annhilator method to do some work. I am a bit confused about this differential operators chapter.

2. This one, I just tried to foil out the RHS to find a way to make it equal to the other side, but it didn't work

Physics news on Phys.org
out. I'm not sure what to do next.

For the first problem, you are on the right track. Distributing the exponential and using the annhilator method are important steps in finding the general solution. As for your confusion with the differential operators chapter, I suggest reviewing the material and practicing some examples to gain a better understanding.

For the second problem, foiling out the RHS may not be the most efficient approach. Instead, try using the power series method to solve for the general solution. This method involves representing the solution as a series of powers of t and solving for the coefficients. I hope this helps. Good luck with your homework!

1. What are differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between a function and its derivatives. They are used to model and solve problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What is the general solution of a differential equation?

The general solution of a differential equation is a formula or set of formulas that satisfy the equation for all possible values of the independent variables. It includes all possible solutions, including any constants that may be present.

3. How do I find the general solution of a differential equation?

To find the general solution of a differential equation, you can use various techniques such as separation of variables, integrating factors, or substitution. The exact method will depend on the type of differential equation and its characteristics.

4. Can I check my solution to a differential equation?

Yes, you can check your solution to a differential equation by substituting it into the original equation and verifying that it satisfies the equation for all values of the independent variables. You can also use numerical methods or computer software to check your solution.

5. What is the difference between a general solution and a particular solution?

A general solution includes all possible solutions to a differential equation, while a particular solution is a specific solution that satisfies the equation for given initial conditions. In other words, a particular solution is obtained by specifying the values of the constants in the general solution.