How Do You Solve a Raindrop's Growth Rate Using Differential Equations?

In summary, the equation for the rate of growth of a spherical rain drop can be expressed as dM/dt = Cr^3, where M = (rho)(4/3)(pi)r^3 and C is a constant. To eliminate M from the equation and express the size of the drop solely in terms of the radius r, we can use the volume equation V = (4/3)(pi)r^3 and solve for r, yielding r = (3V/4(pi))^1/3. To find an expression for r(t), we can use the chain rule and separate the variables, leading to dM/dt = (?)(?) and eventually finding an expression for r(t) given an initial radius r0
gambler84
the rate of growth of the mass M of a spherical rain drop falling through a particular cloud is given by dM/dt = Cr^3 where M = (rho)(4/3)(pi)r^3 and C is a constant

a) eliminate M from the above equation so that the size of the drop is expressed solely in terms of the radius r.

b) separate the variables and integrate to find an expression for r(t), given an intial radius r0 at time t=0

my attempt at part a consisted of me switching the Mass equations to Volume equations, yielding V = (4/3)(pi)r^3
and getting r = (3V/4(pi))^1/3

i don't think this is right. i haven't had any differential equations course as of yet

Physics news on Phys.org
You have M in terms of r. Knowing that r changes in time (dr/dt != 0), what would be dM/dt in terms of r and dr/dt?

idk, that's why i posted the question

Use the chain rule. You have M = f(r) and f = g(t), so dM/dt = (?)(?)

1. What are differential equations and why are they important in science?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between a function and its derivatives. They are important in science because they can be used to model and analyze various physical, biological, and social phenomena.

2. How do you solve a differential equation?

There are several methods for solving differential equations, including separation of variables, integrating factors, and using power series. The specific method used depends on the type of differential equation and its initial conditions.

3. Can differential equations be solved analytically or numerically?

Yes, differential equations can be solved both analytically and numerically. Analytic solutions involve finding an exact mathematical formula for the function, while numerical solutions involve using computational methods to approximate the solution.

4. What is the difference between ordinary and partial differential equations?

Ordinary differential equations involve only one independent variable, while partial differential equations involve multiple independent variables. This means that ordinary differential equations describe the behavior of a single function, while partial differential equations describe the behavior of a function in multiple dimensions.

5. How are differential equations used in different fields of science?

Differential equations are used in a wide range of fields, including physics, biology, economics, and engineering. In physics, they can be used to model motion, heat transfer, and quantum mechanics. In biology, they can be used to model population growth and the spread of diseases. In economics, they can be used to model financial markets and economic systems. In engineering, they can be used to design and analyze complex systems such as electrical circuits and structures.