1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential equations (initial-value problem)

1. Mar 23, 2005 #1
    Consider the initial-value problem

[tex]y^{\prime} + \frac{2}{3} y = 1 - \frac{1}{2}t,\quad y(0) = y_0[/tex]

Find the value of [tex]y_0[/tex] for which the solution touches, but does not cross, the [tex]t[/tex]-axis.

The only problem that I seem to have is finding this particular solution that "touches, but does not cross, the [tex]t[/tex]-axis".

Any help is highly appreciated.

First, I use the method of integrating factors.

[tex]y^{\prime} + \frac{2}{3} y = 1 - \frac{1}{2}t \qquad \mbox{(Standard Form)}[/tex]

It follows that

[tex]p(t)=\frac{2}{3}[/tex]

and

[tex]g(t)=1 - \frac{1}{2}t[/tex]. Thus, we find

[tex]\mu (t) = \exp \int p(t) \: dt = \exp \frac{2}{3} \int \: dt = e^{2t/3}[/tex]

and

[tex]y(t)=\frac{1}{\mu (t)}\left[ \int \mu (t) g (t) \: dt + \mathrm{C} \right][/tex]
    [tex]y(t)=e^{-2t/3}\left[ \int e^{2t/3} \left( 1 - \frac{1}{2}t \right) \: dt + \mathrm{C} \right][/tex]
    [tex]y(t)=e^{-2t/3}\left[ \left( \frac{21}{8} - \frac{3}{4}t \right) e^{2t/3} + \mathrm{C} \right][/tex]
    [tex]y(t)=\frac{21}{8} - \frac{3}{4}t + \mathrm{C} e^{-2t/3}[/tex]

The initial condition gives

[tex]y_0 = \frac{21}{8} - \frac{3}{4}(0) + \mathrm{C} e^{-2(0)/3} \Longrightarrow \mathrm{C} = y_0 - \frac{21}{8}[/tex]

So, we get

[tex]y(t)=\frac{21}{8} - \frac{3}{4}t + \left( y_0 - \frac{21}{8} \right) e^{-2t/3}[/tex]

The problem now is finding the appropriate value for [tex]y_0[/tex]. The answer my textbook gives is [tex]y_0\approx -1.642876[/tex], but so far I haven't been able to figure out the way to work backwards from there. Anyhow, I tried to find it by plotting some of the solutions. It turns out that all of them are horizontal lines. So, maybe I just need to find [tex]y_0[/tex] that gives the line [tex]y=0[/tex]. But again, I'm not so sure. Am I on the right track?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2005 #2

saltydog

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hello Thiago. The equation is not a horizontal line. Not sure I understand what you mean by that. How about this: if it's continuous and touches the x-axis but does not cross it (and is not y=0), then aren't y and y' zero there? So that's two equations in two unknowns, albeit non-linear ones. It's a start anyway.

4. Mar 23, 2005 #3
    Yeah... you're right! What was I thinking?!? If it were a line, it'd fit the form y = ax + b. I must have overlooked my y. :rofl:

Anyway, I see what you mean. I'll use y = 0 and y' = 0 this time.

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 23, 2005
  5. Mar 23, 2005 #4
    Hey, thank you so much. That works fine!

First, we look into [tex]y=0[/tex].

[tex]\frac{21}{8} - \frac{3}{4}t + \left( y_0 - \frac{21}{8} \right) e^{-2t/3} = 0[/tex]

Solving it for [tex]y_0[/tex] gives [tex]y_0 = \frac{3}{8} \left( 7 - 7 e^{2t/3} + 2t e^{2t/3} \right)[/tex]. Next, we look into [tex]y^{\prime}=0[/tex].

[tex]-\frac{3}{4} -\frac{2}{3}\left( y_0 - \frac{21}{8} \right) e^{-2t/3} = 0[/tex]

Using the [tex]y_0[/tex] found in the last step, and solving for [tex]t[/tex] gives [tex]t=2[/tex]. Finally, we substitute that value back in [tex]y_0[/tex] and get [tex]y_0 = \frac{3}{8}\left( 7 - 3e^{4/3} \right) \approx -1.642876[/tex]

That's it!

6. Dec 9, 2010 #5
    this helped me soooo much!! thanks you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?