1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential equations proof

1. Nov 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that Acos(ωt) + Bsin(ωt) can be written in the form r*sin(ωt - θ). Determine r and θ in terms of A and B. If Rcos(ωt - ε) = r*sin(ωt - θ), deermine the relationship among R, r, ε and θ.

2. Relevant equations

Trig identities.

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm really confused on this question. What I first tried to do is to use the sum-difference forumla on r*sin(ωt - θ) = r*sin(ωt)cos(θ) - r*cos(ωt)sin(θ).

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Start by writing your expression like this$$
    \sqrt{A^2+B^2}\left( \frac A {\sqrt{A^2+B^2}}\cos(\omega t)+ \frac B {\sqrt{A^2+B^2}}
    \sin(\omega t) \right)$$That quantity in the large parentheses looks like an addition formula. Think about a right triangle with legs ##A## and ##B##.

4. Nov 8, 2012 #3
    Is that from the Pythagorean theorem?
    I'm still unsure how to set this problem up :(

5. Nov 8, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Did you draw the triangle I suggested? Do those fractions look like sines and cosines of some angle? Can you make the expression in large parentheses look like an addition formula?

6. Nov 8, 2012 #5
    It would be cos(theta) and sin(theta)

7. Nov 8, 2012 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So.......?

8. Nov 8, 2012 #7
    If I use the sum-difference identity I would get cosine term not the sine :(

9. Nov 8, 2012 #8

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Isn't ##\displaystyle{\frac A {\sqrt{A^2+B^2}}}## the cosine of some angle in your triangle?

10. Nov 8, 2012 #9
    yeah so you get cos(θ)cos(ωt) + sin(θ)(sin(ωt))

11. Nov 8, 2012 #10

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This gives you the form ##r\cos(\omega t -\theta)## (don't forget there is that square root out front). Now getting it in a sine form is what I think last sentence in your problem is about.

12. Nov 8, 2012 #11
    But I did not show the first part. I'm quite sure though that if you have rcos(θ) and rsin(θ) they're constants.

13. Nov 8, 2012 #12
    Here is something else I did. I got r*sin(wt)cos(theta) - r*cos(wt)sin(theta)
    Then I set rewrote as r*cos(theta) + (-rsin(theta)cos(wt)

I can then get A = r*cos(theta) and B = (-r*sin(theta))

14. Nov 8, 2012 #13

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Haven't we shown$$
    A\cos(\omega t)+B\sin(\omega t) = \sqrt{A^2+B^2}\left( \frac A {\sqrt{A^2+B^2}}\cos(\omega t)+ \frac B {\sqrt{A^2+B^2}}
    \sin(\omega t) \right) = \sqrt{A^2+B^2}(\cos\theta\cos\omega t + \sin\theta \sin(\omega t) = \sqrt{A^2+B^2}\cos(\omega t - \theta)$$To get it to a sine function I think you have to work the last sentence in the original problem.

15. Nov 8, 2012 #14
    What can I do though? Use the identity on both sides? The first line states to write it in the sin form. We did it in cos :(.

16. Nov 8, 2012 #15

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, we have the cosine. Did you read my previous post, copied above? That is part of your problem, to figure out how to change the cosine to a sine. I have helped you with half of your problem. Now you work on finishing it.

17. Nov 8, 2012 #16
    Is A = r*cos(theta) and B = (-r*sin(theta)) correct for the first part then? To get theta and r in terms of A and B?

18. Nov 8, 2012 #17
    Hold on, I have a question. How can you assume that will give you cosine instead of sine? If I switch, A and B I would get sine.

19. Nov 8, 2012 #18

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have A and B in terms of r and theta. You want r and theta in terms of A and B.

20. Nov 8, 2012 #19

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can get either a sine or cosine form. That shouldn't surprise you because anything that can be expressed as one can be expressed in terms of the other since ##\sin\theta = \cos(\frac \pi 2 -\theta)## and similarly for the cosine.

21. Nov 9, 2012 #20
    woud ε = be pi/2 - wt - theta?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook