Differential Equations Systems problem (3X3 matrix) Please help

In summary, the problem involves finding the solution to a system of differential equations using eigenvalues and eigenvectors. The solution involves finding specific solutions for each unique and repeated eigenvalue, and then combining them to get the general solution.
VinnyCee
Here is the problem:

[tex]X'\,=\,\left(\begin{array}{ccc}3 & -1 & -1\\1 & 1 & -1\\1 & -1 & 1\end{array}\right)\,X[/tex]

Here is what i have so far:

[tex]det(A\,-\,rI)\,=\,0[/tex]

[tex]det\left[\left(\begin{array}{ccc}3 & -1 & -1\\1 & 1 & -1\\1 & -1 & 1\end{array}\right)\,-\,\left(\begin{array}{ccc}r & 0 & 0\\0 & r & 0\\0 & 0 & r\end{array}\right)\right]\,=\,\left(\begin{array}{ccc}3\,-\,r & -1 & -1\\1 & 1\,-\,r & -1\\1 & -1 & 1\,-\,r\end{array}\right)[/tex]

[tex]-(r\,-\,1)\,(r^2\,-\,4r\,+4)\,=\,0[/tex]

[tex]r_1\,=\,1,\,\,\,\,r_2\,=\,2,\,\,\,\,r_3\,=\,2[/tex]

[itex]r\,=\,2[/itex] is repeated once.

[tex](A\,-\,r_1I)\,\xi\,=\,0[/tex]

[tex]\left[\left(\begin{array}{ccc}3 & -1 & -1\\1 & 1 & -1\\1 & -1 & 1\end{array}\right)\,-\,\left(\begin{array}{ccc}1 & 0 & 0\\0 & 1 & 0\\0 & 0 & 1\end{array}\right)\right]\,\left(\begin{array}{ccc} \xi_1 \\ \xi_2 \\ \xi_3 \end{array}\right)=\,\left(\begin{array}{ccc}2 & -1 & -1\\1 & 0 & -1\\1 & -1 & 0\end{array}\right)\,\left(\begin{array}{ccc} \xi_1 \\ \xi_2 \\ \xi_3 \end{array}\right)\,=\,0[/tex]

Now, multiplying out the right hand side of the equation above, and rref'ing, I get:

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cccc} 1 & 0 & -1 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & -1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \end{array}\right)[/tex]

Which means that,

[tex]\xi_1\,-\,\xi_3\,=\,0[/tex]
[tex]\xi_2\,-\,\xi_3\,=\,0[/tex]

So then,

[tex]\xi_1\,=\,\xi_2\,=\,\xi_3?[/tex]

Here is where I am stuck! What am I supposed to do now to solve this system?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just pick a number, like [tex]\xi_1 = \xi_2 = \xi_3 = 1[/tex] or something. That's just saying that any vector with all three components the same is an eigenvector corresponding to eigenvalue r = 1. Is that what you are asking?

Ok, [itex]\xi_1=\xi_2=\xi_3=1[/itex].

What do I do with this information?

Do I just solve for the [itex]r_2=r_3=2[/itex] part and that is the answer?

I am still not understnding exactly what it is that I am supposed to be doing with the [itex]\xi_n[/itex] values.

(note: unfortunately, there's a little difference between VinnyCee's notation and what follows. VinnyCee uses ξ1, ξ2, and ξ3 to represent eigenvector components. In what follows, ξ1, ξ2, and ξ3 are the actual eigenvectors themselves. sorry.)

from your results (& standard textbook): for single unique eigenvalue r1=1 and its eigenvector ξ1=<1, 1, 1>, a specific solution is:

[tex] X_{1}(t) \ = \ C_{1} \cdot \exp(r_1 t) \cdot \xi_{1} \ = \ C_1 \cdot \exp(t) \cdot \left ( \begin{array}{c} 1 \\ 1 \\ 1 \end{array} \right ) [/tex]

then for repeated eigenvalue r23=2 and its eigenvectors ξ2=<2, 1, 1> and ξ3=<1.33, -1, 2.33>, a specific solution is:

[tex] X_{23}(t) \ = \ C_{2} \cdot \exp(r_{23} t) \cdot \xi_{2} \ + \ C_{3} \cdot \exp(r_{23} t) \cdot ( \xi_{2} t \ + \ \xi_{3} ) \ = \ C_{2} \cdot \exp(2 t) \cdot \left ( \begin{array}{c} 2 \\ 1 \\ 1 \end{array} \right ) \ + \ C_3 \cdot \exp(2t) \cdot \left ( \left ( \begin{array}{c} 2 \\ 1 \\ 1 \end{array} \right ) \cdot t \ + \ \left ( \begin{array}{c} 1.33 \\ -1 \\ 2.33 \end{array} \right ) \right ) [/tex]

[tex] \mbox{General Solution} \ = \ \textbf{X(t)} \ = \ X_{1}(t) \ + \ X_{23}(t) [/tex]

general solution is (X1(t) + X23(t)), and constants C1, C2, and C3 obtained from initial cond.

Last edited:
The general solution is...

Is this the correct general solution?:

[tex]X\,=\,\ C_1 \cdot e^t \cdot \left ( \begin{array}{c} 1 \\ 1 \\ 1 \end{array} \right ) \,+\,\ C_2 \cdot e^{2t} \cdot \left ( \begin{array}{c} 1 \\ 0 \\ 1 \end{array} \right ) \,+\,\ C_3 \cdot e^{2t} \cdot \left [ \left( \begin{array}{c} 1 \\ 0 \\ 1 \end{array} \right )\cdot t\,+\,\left ( \begin{array}{c} 1 \\ 1 \\ 0 \end{array} \right ) \right][/tex]

This is using different eigenvectors than you calculated. I got:

[tex]\xi^{(2)}\,=\,\left ( \begin{array}{c} 1 \\ 0 \\ 1 \end{array} \right )[/tex] and [tex]\xi^{(2)}\,=\,\left ( \begin{array}{c} 1 \\ 1 \\ 0 \end{array} \right )[/tex].

I think that they are just multipules of your solutions.

1. What is a differential equations system with a 3x3 matrix?

A differential equations system with a 3x3 matrix is a set of three differential equations that are interconnected and can be represented by a 3x3 matrix. Each equation represents the rate of change of a variable in the system, and the matrix represents the coefficients of the variables in each equation.

2. How do I solve a differential equations system with a 3x3 matrix?

To solve a differential equations system with a 3x3 matrix, you can use various methods such as elimination, substitution, or matrix inversion. The method you choose will depend on the form of the equations and the desired outcome.

3. What are some real-life applications of differential equations systems with a 3x3 matrix?

Differential equations systems with a 3x3 matrix have many real-life applications, including modeling population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits. They are also used in physics, biology, and engineering to describe and predict the behavior of complex systems.

4. Can I use software to solve a differential equations system with a 3x3 matrix?

Yes, there are many software programs available that can solve differential equations systems with a 3x3 matrix. Some popular options include MATLAB, Mathematica, and Maple. These programs use numerical methods to find approximate solutions to the system.

5. What is the significance of the 3x3 matrix in a differential equations system?

The 3x3 matrix in a differential equations system represents the coefficients of the variables in each equation. It is significant because it allows us to write the entire system in a compact form and solve it using matrix operations. It also helps us understand the relationships between the variables in the system and how they affect each other's rates of change.