Differential Equations with Dicontinuous Forcing Functions

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the solution to an initial value problem involving a piecewise function and a second order differential equation. The suggested approach is to break the problem into two separate cases and use standard methods to solve for the solutions in each case. The purpose of shifting the t variable is to account for changes in the function at certain points, but it is not necessary in this problem.
louis11

Homework Statement

Find the solution of the given initial value problem.

Homework Equations

y" + y = f(t); y(0) = 0, y'(0) = 1;

[tex]
f(t) = \left\{
\begin{array}{c l}
1, & 0 \le t \le \pi/2 \\
0, & \pi/2 \le t < \infty
\end{array}
\right.
[/tex]

Edit: That should be an f(t). Not an f(x) in the piecewise function. For whatever reason it defaults to the "x".

The Attempt at a Solution

My book provides one example regarding this type of problem. An example that I have been trying to follow for about the last hour to no avail. I believe the steps required to solve this problem are as follows:
  1. Find the step function
  2. Set the differential equation equal to the step function
  3. Find the Laplace transform of both sides
  4. Separate like terms. Find the inverse Laplace to solve for y(t)

I don't know if these steps are correct but it's what I took from the example provided. Anyway, below is what I've attempted:

L{y"+y} -> [s^2Y(s)-sy(0)-y'(0)] + Y(s) = f(t)
f(t) = 1 - u_pi/2(t)

Y(s) = [(1 - u_pi/2(t)) + 1] / (s^2 + 1)

At this point when I try and take the Laplace the answer I get isn't correct. It seems like it's on the right track, but I'm missing some element along the way that throws it off slightly.

Yesterday when I was working with step functions I had some difficulty with the "shifting". For some problems, to get the correct answer I had to "shift" the t by some factor, usually a boundary in the piecewise function. In this problem, do I need to shift? What's the purpose of the shift, and how do you know when you should do it?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your post. It seems like you are on the right track with your approach. Here are some suggestions:

1. Instead of using the step function, you can break the problem into two separate cases. One for t between 0 and pi/2, and one for t greater than pi/2. This will make the calculations a bit simpler.

2. In the first case (0 to pi/2), the differential equation becomes y" + y = 1. This is a simple equation that can be solved using standard methods.

3. In the second case (pi/2 to infinity), the differential equation becomes y" + y = 0. This is a homogeneous equation that can be solved using standard methods.

4. Once you have the solutions for both cases, you can use the initial conditions (y(0) = 0, y'(0) = 1) to determine the constants of integration.

5. As for the shifting of the t variable, it is used to take into account the change in the function at a certain point, such as a boundary in a piecewise function. In this problem, you do not need to shift the t variable because the initial conditions are given at t = 0.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.
Scientist

1. What are differential equations with discontinuous forcing functions?

Differential equations with discontinuous forcing functions are a type of differential equation where the function on the right side of the equation, known as the forcing function, is discontinuous. This means that the function has abrupt changes or jumps at certain points instead of being continuous and smooth.

2. Why are differential equations with discontinuous forcing functions important?

Differential equations with discontinuous forcing functions are important because they can model real-world situations where sudden changes occur, such as in electrical circuits or physical systems. They also have applications in engineering, physics, and mathematics.

3. How do you solve differential equations with discontinuous forcing functions?

The solution to a differential equation with a discontinuous forcing function involves finding a piecewise solution, which means breaking the solution into different parts based on the different sections of the forcing function. This can be done using techniques such as Laplace transforms or the method of undetermined coefficients.

4. What are some challenges when solving differential equations with discontinuous forcing functions?

One of the main challenges when solving differential equations with discontinuous forcing functions is dealing with the discontinuity itself. The solution may not be well-defined at the points where the forcing function has a jump, so special techniques must be used to handle these points.

5. Can differential equations with discontinuous forcing functions have multiple solutions?

Yes, it is possible for differential equations with discontinuous forcing functions to have multiple solutions. This is because the discontinuity in the forcing function can lead to different behaviors for the solution at different points. It is important to carefully analyze the problem to determine which solution is the most appropriate for the given situation.