1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Equations - with

1. Feb 9, 2009 #1
    1. Assume that y0 dollars is deposited in an account paying r percent compounded continuously. If withdrawals are at an annual rate of 200t dollars (assume these are continuous), find the amount in the account after t years.

2. continuously compounded interest: A(t)=A0*e^rt

3. I have no idea how this works at all. The part that's throwing me off is that the input (200t) dollars affects the interest, and I don't know how to include that in the equation.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Money in the account is increasing due to the interest earned: rA "dollars per year". Money in the account is decreasing due to the money with drawn, 200 "dollars per year". Therefore the amount is changing at any instant by rA- 200 "dollars per year". The rate of change is, of course, dA/dt so your differential equation is
    [tex]\frac{dA}{dt}= rA- 200[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook