How Should Initial Conditions Be Applied in Solving Differential Equations?

A, B, and C.In summary, y is a function of x if y'''-6y''+8y'=9e^x, and given initial conditions of y=13, y'=17, and y''=16, the solution for y(x) can be found by finding the particular solution of the nonhomogeneous equation using the method of undetermined coefficients and then substituting the initial conditions into the general solution.
UrbanXrisis
y is a function of x if
[tex]y'''-6y''+8y'=9e^x[/tex]
[tex]y(0)=13, y'(0)=17, y''(0)=16[/tex]
solve for y(x)=

I first solved for [tex]y'''-6y''+8y'=0[/tex]
I got the general solution:
[tex]y=A0.5e^{2x}+B0.25e^{4x}+C[/tex]

I was just wondering if I should plug in the initial conditions now or should I solve the 9e^x and then solve for the initial conditions? Also, if I solved for 9e^x now, would the costant C just be zero?

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't solve for the initial conditions now, because the equation you got, [itex]y=Ae^{2x}+Be^{4x}+C[/itex] is the solution to the corresponding homogeneous equation only, and not the solution of the original nonhomogeneous equation given in the initial problem.

You can now find the particular solution of the nonhomogeneous equation by the method of undetermined coefficients.

The general solution of the nonhomogeneous equation will be the sum of the solution of the homogeneous equation and the particular solution of the nonhomogeneous equation. You should substitute your initial conditions to this general solution

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates one or more unknown functions to their derivatives. It is used to describe the behavior of a system over time and is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What is the difference between an ordinary and a partial differential equation?

An ordinary differential equation (ODE) involves only one independent variable, while a partial differential equation (PDE) involves multiple independent variables. ODEs are commonly used to model systems with one variable, such as population growth, while PDEs are used to model systems with multiple variables, such as heat transfer or fluid dynamics.

3. How are differential equations solved?

There are various methods for solving differential equations, including separation of variables, substitution, and using differential operators. The appropriate method depends on the type of differential equation and its complexity. In some cases, numerical methods may also be used to approximate a solution.

4. What are the applications of differential equations?

Differential equations have numerous applications in science and engineering. They are used to model physical phenomena such as motion, heat transfer, and population dynamics. They are also used in fields such as economics, biology, and chemistry to describe and predict the behavior of systems over time.

5. What are the types of solutions to a differential equation?

The types of solutions to a differential equation depend on the type of equation and its initial conditions. The three main types of solutions are explicit, implicit, and parametric. An explicit solution expresses the dependent variable explicitly in terms of the independent variable, while an implicit solution does not. A parametric solution involves introducing a new variable to express the solution in terms of a parameter.