1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential equations

1. Jan 21, 2007 #1
    Here's the problem:
    Solve y'-4y=9e^(7t) with y(0)=5

multiplying both sides by mu(t)

now when y(0)=5

so y=(3e^(3t))/(e^(-4t))+2

That's not right, I also tried y=(3e^(3t))/(e^(-4t))(5/3)
    and that's not right either. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Never mind, figured it out, I didn't divide c by the left side of the equation.
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2007 #2
    your on the right track. You have the correct integration factor.
    [tex] \mu(t)= e^{-4t} [tex]
  4. Jan 23, 2007 #3
    hmmm, still havent gotten the hang of how to type formulas here. Ok lets if I get it right this time....
    After you set up the problem you actually need to do a full integration on the RHS, and you need to evaluate your LFS at the endpoints of integration...
    [tex] \frac{d}{dt} y(t)e^{-4t}= 9e^{3t} \rightarrow y(t)e^(-4t') \Big^t_0= \int^t_0 9e^{3t'}dt' [\tex]
  5. Jan 23, 2007 #4
    ok sorry , see if i can get it now....
    [tex] \frac{d}{dt} y(t)e^{-4t}= 9e^{3t} \rightarrow y(t)e^(-4t') \Big^t_0= \int^t_0 9e^{3t'}dt' [/tex]
  6. Jan 23, 2007 #5
    last try....
    [tex]\frac{d}{dt} \left[y(t)e^{-4t} \right]= 9e^{3t} \rightarrow y(t)e^{-4t'} \Big| _0^t= \int^t_0 9e^{3t'}dt'[/tex]
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2007
  7. Jan 23, 2007 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why do you have primes on the ts? On the right hand side, yes, the t inside the integral is a "dummy" variable and so should be distinguished from the t outside. I would be inclined to use a completely different letter, say s. There certainly shouldn't be a prime on the t in the exponential on the left.
    To finish, what is
    [tex]\int_0^t 9e^{3s}ds[/tex]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?