Solution to Differential Equation: y'-4y=9e^(7t) with Initial Condition y(0)=5

In summary, the problem is to solve y'-4y=9e^(7t) with y(0)=5. The solution involves using an integration factor of e^(-4t) and fully integrating the right hand side. The final solution is y=(3e^(3t))/(e^(-4t))+2, and the mistake made in the conversation was not evaluating the left hand side at the endpoints of integration.
glid02
Here's the problem:
Solve y'-4y=9e^(7t) with y(0)=5

p(t)=-4
mu(t)=e^(int[-4dt])=e^(-4t)

multiplying both sides by mu(t)
e^(-4t)(y'-4y)=9e^(3t)
Dt(e^(-4t)y)=9e^(3t)
e^(-4t)y=3e^(3t)+c
y=(3e^(3t))/(e^(-4t))+c/e^(-4t)

now when y(0)=5
5=3+c
c=2

so y=(3e^(3t))/(e^(-4t))+2

That's not right, I also tried y=(3e^(3t))/(e^(-4t))(5/3)
and that's not right either. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.

Never mind, figured it out, I didn't divide c by the left side of the equation.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
your on the right track. You have the correct integration factor.
[tex] \mu(t)= e^{-4t} [tex]

hmmm, still haven't gotten the hang of how to type formulas here. Ok let's if I get it right this time...
After you set up the problem you actually need to do a full integration on the RHS, and you need to evaluate your LFS at the endpoints of integration...
[tex] \frac{d}{dt} y(t)e^{-4t}= 9e^{3t} \rightarrow y(t)e^(-4t') \Big^t_0= \int^t_0 9e^{3t'}dt' [\tex]

ok sorry , see if i can get it now...
[tex] \frac{d}{dt} y(t)e^{-4t}= 9e^{3t} \rightarrow y(t)e^(-4t') \Big^t_0= \int^t_0 9e^{3t'}dt' [/tex]

last try...
[tex]\frac{d}{dt} \left[y(t)e^{-4t} \right]= 9e^{3t} \rightarrow y(t)e^{-4t'} \Big| _0^t= \int^t_0 9e^{3t'}dt'[/tex]

Last edited:
Why do you have primes on the ts? On the right hand side, yes, the t inside the integral is a "dummy" variable and so should be distinguished from the t outside. I would be inclined to use a completely different letter, say s. There certainly shouldn't be a prime on the t in the exponential on the left.
To finish, what is
[tex]\int_0^t 9e^{3s}ds[/tex]

1. What is the general solution to the given differential equation?

The general solution to this differential equation is y(t) = Ce^(4t) + (9/11)e^(7t), where C is a constant of integration.

2. How do you solve for the constant of integration?

To solve for the constant of integration, we use the initial condition given in the problem. In this case, y(0) = 5. Substituting this value into the general solution, we get 5 = C + (9/11). Solving for C, we get C = 44/11 - 9/11 = 35/11. Therefore, the specific solution to the differential equation is y(t) = (35/11)e^(4t) + (9/11)e^(7t).

3. What is the particular solution to the given differential equation?

The particular solution to this differential equation is y(t) = (35/11)e^(4t) + (9/11)e^(7t).

4. How do you verify the particular solution?

To verify the particular solution, we can substitute it into the differential equation and check if it satisfies the equation. In this case, y'(t) = 4(35/11)e^(4t) + 7(9/11)e^(7t) = (140/11)e^(4t) + (63/11)e^(7t). Substituting this into the given equation, we get (140/11)e^(4t) + (63/11)e^(7t) - 4((35/11)e^(4t) + (9/11)e^(7t)) = (140/11)e^(4t) + (63/11)e^(7t) - (140/11)e^(4t) - (36/11)e^(7t) = (27/11)e^(7t). This is equal to 9e^(7t), which verifies that the particular solution is correct.

5. Can this differential equation be solved using other methods?

Yes, this differential equation can also be solved using the integrating factor method or the Laplace transform method. However, the method used in this problem, which is the method of undetermined coefficients, is the most straightforward and efficient for solving this type of differential equation.