1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential equations

1. Oct 1, 2009 #1
    So i've just started Differential equations and already im stuck.

I have the Question:

xy' = y² + y It also gives me (u = y/x) and i can see how to get u.

So now i have y' =(y²/x) + u Now im stuck, i'm not really sure of the exact way of going about this.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

This equation is separable, so that you can get dy and the y terms on one side, and dx and the x term on the other. Then integrate, not forgetting the constant of integration.

4. Oct 1, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If you want to treat it as a "homogeneous" equation, which is what the "hint", to take u= y/x implies, then dividing the equation by x gives [itex]y'= y^2/x+ y/x[/itex] as you say and, yes, that is [itex]y'= y^2/x+ u[/itex]. But you can also write [itex]y^2/x= (y/x)y= uy[/itex]. Your equation becomes y'= uy+ u= u(y+1) which is again separable:
    dy/(y+1)= u du.

I tend to agree with Mark44, that, since it is already separable, doing it as dy/(y^2+ y)= dx/x seems more obvious.

5. Oct 1, 2009 #4
    I would have done it automaticly like that, exept it states * use u=y/x *

This is what the given solution is:

PICTAR.jpg

I think i might stick with my answer and see what he says.

6. Oct 1, 2009 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Check your solution by calculating dy/dx. It should be that for your solution xdy/dx = y2 + y. If so, you're in business. If not, you need to go back and see where you went wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook