Origin as the Only Critical Point: Solving Differential Equations

In summary, the student is requesting help from the community with regards to a problem they are having with a homework assignment. The student missed a few lectures due to a medical issue, and now are at the end of the semester. The student is requesting help with regards to a problem they are having with a homework assignment. The student missed a few lectures due to a medical issue, and now are at the end of the semester. The student has tried to solve the homework assignment but is not sure how to go about it. The student has tried to solve the homework assignment but is not sure how to go about it. The student has tried to solve the homework assignment but has not been able to get in touch with the professor for help.
Kamekui

Homework Statement

Show the origin is the only critical point

Homework Equations

x'= -x-x3
y-= -y-y5

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure how to go about this. I missed a few lectures due to a medical issue, and now were at the end of the semester and I can't get in touch with the professor. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kamekui said:

Homework Equations

x'= -x-x3
y-= -y-y5

Your second equation doesn't make sense. The very first step when asking for help, is to always make sure that you have typed your question correctly. There is a minus after y. Is there supposed to be another constant or variable after the minus sign? Or is that minus sign not supposed to be there?

Anyway, to find the critical point, you should differentiate the function with respect to the independent variable and then equate to 0.

Kamekui said:

Homework Statement

Show the origin is the only critical point

Homework Equations

x'= -x-x3
y-= -y-y5

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure how to go about this. I missed a few lectures due to a medical issue, and now were at the end of the semester and I can't get in touch with the professor. Any help would be appreciated.

sharks said:
Your second equation doesn't make sense. The very first step when asking for help, is to always make sure that you have typed your question correctly. There is a minus after y. Is there supposed to be another constant or variable after the minus sign? Or is that minus sign not supposed to be there?

Anyway, to find the critical point, you should differentiate the function with respect to the independent variable and then equate to 0.

It doesn't take much imagination to figure out that the second equation is ##y'=-y-y^5##. This is a system of two differential equations. The stationary points are where ##x'## and ##y'## are simultaneously zero.

LCKurtz said:
It doesn't take much imagination to figure out that the second equation is ##y'=-y-y^5##. This is a system of two differential equations. The stationary points are where ##x'## and ##y'## are simultaneously zero.

I kinda guessed, but i preferred to point it out to the OP. Previously, in other threads with typo errors, i had guessed and assumed, but it turned out that i was wrong, and i got flamed by the poster/s. So... I'm not doing the same mistake of assuming anything again. :grumpy:

What are differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe the relationships between a function and its derivatives. They are used to model and solve a wide range of scientific and engineering problems.

What are the types of differential equations?

The two main types of differential equations are ordinary differential equations (ODEs) and partial differential equations (PDEs). ODEs involve a single independent variable, while PDEs involve multiple independent variables.

What are some real-life applications of differential equations?

Differential equations are used in many fields, such as physics, chemistry, biology, engineering, and economics. They can be used to model and predict the behavior of systems such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits.

What methods are used to solve differential equations?

There are various methods for solving differential equations, including separation of variables, substitution, integration, and numerical methods. The specific method used depends on the type of differential equation and its complexity.

Why are differential equations important in science?

Differential equations are essential in science because they provide a powerful tool for understanding and predicting the behavior of complex systems. They allow us to make mathematical models that can be used to study real-world phenomena and make informed decisions.