1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Equations

1. May 19, 2005 #1
    1) Show that since a body falling freely obeys the differential equation [tex]h''=-g[/itex], if it falls from an initial height [itex]h(0)[/itex], it lands with a velocity of [itex]-\sqrt{2gh(0)}[/itex]

This problem is from a differential equations class and I solved it two different ways:

Method 1:
    [itex]\frac {dh} {dt}=v[/itex] and [itex]\frac {dv} {dt}=a[/itex] which leads to [itex]\int{a dh}=\int{v dv}[/itex] and solving for v gives you [itex]v=\sqrt{2gh}[/itex]

Method 2:
    Use [itex]KE=PE[/itex], so [itex]\frac{1}{2}mv^2=mgh[/itex]
    and solve for v which gives you [itex]v=\sqrt{2gh}[/itex].

Unfortunately I don't think this is what the instructor is looking for. The wording of the question suggests he wants me to use differential equations techniques. I solved the DE to get [itex] h=-\frac{1}{2}gt^2+c_1t+c_2 [/itex] but I'm not seeing how that will get me to [itex]v=-\sqrt{2gh(0)}[/itex]

Can anyone help me?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The velocity's equation v(t) is [itex] v(t)=v_{0}-gt [/itex] If u take the initial velocity to be zero and u found the falling time in terms of the height,then it's easy to get

[tex]v\left(t_{\mbox{falling}\right)=-\sqrt{2g h(0)} [/tex]

4. May 20, 2005 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Actually, your "method 1" is a differential equation method.

However, you can, as you say get [tex]h(t)= -\frac{1}{2}gt^2+ c_1t+ c_2[/tex] and then [tex]v(t)= h'(t)= -gt+ c_1[/tex].
    Taking t= 0 to be the moment the body is dropped, h(0)= c_2 and v(0)= c_1= 0 so
    [tex]h(t)= -\frac{1}{2}gt^2+ h(0)[/tex] and [tex]v(t)= -gt[/tex].

The body "lands" when h(t)= 0. Solve [tex]h(t)= -\frac{1}{2}gt^2+ h(0)= 0[/tex], which is thesame as [tex]t^2= \frac{2h(0)}{g}[/tex], (of course, you only want the positive root) and put into v(t)= -gt to find speed with which it lands.
  5. May 21, 2005 #4
    Thanks for helping me out...I don't know why, but the answer wasn't immediately apparent to me. I need a break :tongue:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?