Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Differential Equations

1. May 19, 2005 #1
    1) Show that since a body falling freely obeys the differential equation [tex]h''=-g[/itex], if it falls from an initial height [itex]h(0)[/itex], it lands with a velocity of [itex]-\sqrt{2gh(0)}[/itex]

This problem is from a differential equations class and I solved it two different ways:

Method 1:
    [itex]\frac {dh} {dt}=v[/itex] and [itex]\frac {dv} {dt}=a[/itex] which leads to [itex]\int{a dh}=\int{v dv}[/itex] and solving for v gives you [itex]v=\sqrt{2gh}[/itex]

Method 2:
    Use [itex]KE=PE[/itex], so [itex]\frac{1}{2}mv^2=mgh[/itex]
    and solve for v which gives you [itex]v=\sqrt{2gh}[/itex].

Unfortunately I don't think this is what the instructor is looking for. The wording of the question suggests he wants me to use differential equations techniques. I solved the DE to get [itex] h=-\frac{1}{2}gt^2+c_1t+c_2 [/itex] but I'm not seeing how that will get me to [itex]v=-\sqrt{2gh(0)}[/itex]

Can anyone help me?

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The velocity's equation v(t) is [itex] v(t)=v_{0}-gt [/itex] If u take the initial velocity to be zero and u found the falling time in terms of the height,then it's easy to get

[tex]v\left(t_{\mbox{falling}\right)=-\sqrt{2g h(0)} [/tex]

Daniel.

4. May 20, 2005 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Actually, your "method 1" is a differential equation method.

However, you can, as you say get [tex]h(t)= -\frac{1}{2}gt^2+ c_1t+ c_2[/tex] and then [tex]v(t)= h'(t)= -gt+ c_1[/tex].
    Taking t= 0 to be the moment the body is dropped, h(0)= c_2 and v(0)= c_1= 0 so
    [tex]h(t)= -\frac{1}{2}gt^2+ h(0)[/tex] and [tex]v(t)= -gt[/tex].

The body "lands" when h(t)= 0. Solve [tex]h(t)= -\frac{1}{2}gt^2+ h(0)= 0[/tex], which is thesame as [tex]t^2= \frac{2h(0)}{g}[/tex], (of course, you only want the positive root) and put into v(t)= -gt to find speed with which it lands.

5. May 21, 2005 #4
    Thanks for helping me out...I don't know why, but the answer wasn't immediately apparent to me. I need a break :tongue:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook