Using Differential Equations to Solve for Velocity of a Free Falling Body

In summary, the velocity of a body that falls freely obeys the differential equation [tex]h''=-g[/itex], if it falls from an initial height h(0).
mekkomhada
1) Show that since a body falling freely obeys the differential equation [tex]h''=-g[/itex], if it falls from an initial height [itex]h(0)[/itex], it lands with a velocity of [itex]-\sqrt{2gh(0)}[/itex]

This problem is from a differential equations class and I solved it two different ways:

Method 1:
[itex]\frac {dh} {dt}=v[/itex] and [itex]\frac {dv} {dt}=a[/itex] which leads to [itex]\int{a dh}=\int{v dv}[/itex] and solving for v gives you [itex]v=\sqrt{2gh}[/itex]

Method 2:
Use [itex]KE=PE[/itex], so [itex]\frac{1}{2}mv^2=mgh[/itex]
and solve for v which gives you [itex]v=\sqrt{2gh}[/itex].

Unfortunately I don't think this is what the instructor is looking for. The wording of the question suggests he wants me to use differential equations techniques. I solved the DE to get [itex] h=-\frac{1}{2}gt^2+c_1t+c_2 [/itex] but I'm not seeing how that will get me to [itex]v=-\sqrt{2gh(0)}[/itex]

Can anyone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
The velocity's equation v(t) is [itex] v(t)=v_{0}-gt [/itex] If u take the initial velocity to be zero and u found the falling time in terms of the height,then it's easy to get

[tex]v\left(t_{\mbox{falling}\right)=-\sqrt{2g h(0)} [/tex]

Daniel.

Actually, your "method 1" is a differential equation method.

However, you can, as you say get [tex]h(t)= -\frac{1}{2}gt^2+ c_1t+ c_2[/tex] and then [tex]v(t)= h'(t)= -gt+ c_1[/tex].
Taking t= 0 to be the moment the body is dropped, h(0)= c_2 and v(0)= c_1= 0 so
[tex]h(t)= -\frac{1}{2}gt^2+ h(0)[/tex] and [tex]v(t)= -gt[/tex].

The body "lands" when h(t)= 0. Solve [tex]h(t)= -\frac{1}{2}gt^2+ h(0)= 0[/tex], which is thesame as [tex]t^2= \frac{2h(0)}{g}[/tex], (of course, you only want the positive root) and put into v(t)= -gt to find speed with which it lands.

Thanks for helping me out...I don't know why, but the answer wasn't immediately apparent to me. I need a break :tongue:

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function with one or more of its derivatives. It is commonly used to model and analyze changing systems in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics.

What is the difference between a ordinary and a partial differential equation?

An ordinary differential equation (ODE) involves a single independent variable and its derivatives, while a partial differential equation (PDE) involves multiple independent variables and their derivatives. ODEs are used to describe one-dimensional systems, while PDEs are used for multi-dimensional systems.

What are the different types of differential equations?

The main types of differential equations are:

• Ordinary differential equations (ODEs)
  • Partial differential equations (PDEs)
  • Linear differential equations
  • Nonlinear differential equations
  • Homogeneous differential equations
  • Non-homogeneous differential equations
  • First-order differential equations
  • Higher-order differential equations

How are differential equations used in real life?

Differential equations are used to model and analyze changing systems in various fields, such as physics, engineering, economics, biology, and chemistry. They are used to predict the behavior of systems over time and to solve problems related to rates of change.

What are some common techniques for solving differential equations?

Some common techniques for solving differential equations include:

• Separation of variables
  • Integrating factors
  • Series solutions
  • Using Laplace transforms
  • Numerical methods such as Euler's method and Runge-Kutta methods