Good book on differential equations

In summary: If you would like a clear exposition of topics and excellent problems, I heartily recommend a book called "Differential Equations with Applications and Historical Notes" by George Simmons. His writing style is very clear, and his books read like novels.
Sobi
I need a good book on differential equations.

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't read it myself (though will soon), but I hear Tenenbaum's book is fantastic. On top of that, it is one of the cheaper textbooks you'll find!

If you would like a clear exposition of topics and excellent problems, I heartily recommend a book called "Differential Equations with Applications and Historical Notes" by George Simmons. His writing style is very clear, and his books read like novels.

Sobi said:
I need a good book on differential equations.

Ross' differential equations is one of the best ODE books I ever read. The first part of the book deals with giving exact or numerical solutions. The second part is more theoretical (and more interesting). It contains everything you would ever want to know about basic ODE theory.

Likes MidgetDwarf
Ross is great, I second that. I feel that the exercises are a tad to easy. Buy a cheap edition of Zill Differential Equations for under 5 dollars and supplement Ross with problems from Zill.

I learned from Rainville and Bedient. I think Boyce and Diprima is also good

mpresic said:
I learned from Rainville and Bedient. I think Boyce and Diprima is also good

I think Boyce de Prima is too expensive for what it offers. At a hundred dollars a used copy? no.

You may be right MidgetDwarf. I used Simmons (already mentioned) as a sophomore and I liked it. I have some books by Sheldon Ross, but not his DE one. If his DE one is like his other books, it should be very good.

MidgetDwarf said:
I think Boyce de Prima is too expensive for what it offers. At a hundred dollars a used copy? no.
At my university a used copy in even dreadful condition goes for $150. Absolutely horrifying.

mpresic said:
You may be right MidgetDwarf. I used Simmons (already mentioned) as a sophomore and I liked it. I have some books by Sheldon Ross, but not his DE one. If his DE one is like his other books, it should be very good.

It is a different Ross, this Ross writes even better.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0534418783/?tag=pfamazon01-20

this is a copy of Zill. Good exercises, the text is typical plug and chug, but very clear. Use this for problems or when you need to clarify something in Ross.

For Ross, their are two versions of his book. I got the Introduction to Ordinary Differential Equations. I believe, the book titled Ordinary Differential Equations, includes the Introduction to Ordinary Differential Equations and more material. Maybe Micromass can confirm this, I am not 100% sure.

But Ross was really well written.

Last edited by a moderator:
mpresic said:

I have Simmons Calculus, never looked at his other books. It was well written. Good thinking exercises. The problem I did not like however, was that he hand waved a lot of proofs, and sections and topics that should be combined in one section were spread out. It was well written and offered great intuition. I feel it lacked it in the explanation of Sequences. I found Stewart Beat Simmons in explaining Sequences and Series. However, Simmons is the better book.

Im looking forward to Simmons book on Topology for next year.

KiggenPig said:
At my university a used copy in even dreadful condition goes for $150. Absolutely horrifying.
Really? Wow.
I see them in the Amazon used books section for like < $15. May be worth checking out.

An introduction to Differential Equation and linear Algebra. By Goode.

1. What is a good book for beginners to learn differential equations?

One highly recommended book for beginners is "Differential Equations: An Introduction to Modern Methods and Applications" by James R. Brannan and William E. Boyce. It covers the fundamentals of differential equations in a clear and accessible manner.

2. What are the best books for advanced study of differential equations?

For advanced study, "Ordinary Differential Equations" by Morris Tenenbaum and Harry Pollard and "Partial Differential Equations for Scientists and Engineers" by Stanley J. Farlow are considered to be excellent resources.

3. Are there any good online resources for learning differential equations?

Yes, there are many online resources available, including video lectures, interactive tutorials, and practice problems. Some popular websites for learning differential equations include Khan Academy, Coursera, and MIT OpenCourseWare.

4. Can you recommend a differential equations book with real-world applications?

"Differential Equations with Applications and Historical Notes" by George F. Simmons is a great choice for those looking to understand the practical applications of differential equations in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics.

5. What are some good supplemental resources to accompany a differential equations textbook?

Some helpful supplemental resources include solution manuals, study guides, and practice problem sets. Additionally, some textbooks may have online resources such as interactive simulations or additional practice problems. It is also beneficial to seek out online forums or study groups to discuss and clarify concepts with others studying differential equations.