1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential equations

1. May 20, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Get the two stationary points for the equation ## y= ((ln x)^2)/x ##

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    i have managed to solve
    ##dy/dx=((2xlnx/x- (ln x)^2))/x^2 = 0,
    ln x(2-ln x) = 0,
    x= 1, x =e^2##

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2016 #2
    I think you are trying to say here, dy/du = 2v/u and it's not equal to 2.

4. May 20, 2016 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I can follow $$
    { dy\over dx} ={2x\ln x/x- (ln x)^2)\over x^2} = 0 \ \ \Leftrightarrow\ \ \ln x(2-ln x) = 0 \ \ \& \ \ x\ne 0 $$
    which is satisfied for ##x= 1## and for ##x =e^2##.
    But the 'then I am getting' seems a bit superfluous to me. What do you intend to show with that ?

5. May 20, 2016 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So, what is your question?

Anyway, please use proper syntax for TeX/LaTex: you should type "\ln ..." instead of "ln ...", because leaving out the backslash produces ugly results that are hard to read, like this (##ln x##) while using "\ln..." produces good-looking, easier-to-read results, like this (##\ln x##). BTW: the same goes for sin/arcsin, cos/arccos, tan/arctan, exp, log, max, min, lim, sinh, cosh, tanh, etc: leaving out the backslash gives ugly, hard-to-read results ##sin x##, ##arcsin x##, ##cos x##, ##arccos x##, ##tan x##, ##arctan x##, ##exp x##, ##log x##, ##max x##, ##min x##, ##lim_{x \to 0}##, ##sinh x##, etc., etc. Using the backslash produces much nicer output: ##\sin x##, ##\arcsin x##, ##\cos x##, ##\arccos x##, ##\tan x##, ##\arctan x##, ##\exp x##, ##\log x##, ##\max x##, ##\min x##, ##\lim_{x \to 0}##, ##\sinh x##, etc.

6. May 20, 2016 #5
    I a m sorry the question was to find the co ordinates of the stationary point for the given function ## y= f(x)##

7. May 20, 2016 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That is the problem statement. What Ray means is: what question do you want your helpers to answer ?

8. May 20, 2016 #7
    I have answered the question already sorry

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted