Fourier Series and Convergence for f(x) = 1 and g(x) = x on the Interval [0, pi]

In summary, the conversation is discussing the process of finding the Fourier series for a given function and using it to find a convergent series for another function. It involves calculating the Fourier coefficients, integrating the series, and using Taylor series to find a convergent series. There is some confusion about the correct series, specifically the use of even and odd numbers.
stunner5000pt
Find the Fourier Series for f(x) =1 on the interval 0<= x <= pi in terms of [itex] \phi_{n} = \sin{nx} [/itex]. Bu integrating this series find a convergent series for the function g(x) =x on this interval assuming the set {sin nx} is complete
Ok for the FOurier Coefficients
[tex] c_{n} = \frac{\int_{0}^{\pi} f \phi \rho dx}{\int_{0}^{\pi} \phi^2} dx [/tex]
this is how it is in my test
rho is suppsod to be the weight
ok for the numerator
[tex] \int_{0}^{\pi} \sin{nx} dx = \frac{1}{n} [- \cos{nx}]_{0}^{\pi} = (-1)^n + 1 [/tex]
for hte denominator
[tex] \int_{0}^{\pi} (\sin{nx})^2 dx = \frac{\pi}{2} - \frac{\sin{2n \pi}}{4} =\frac{\pi}{2} [/tex]
so the Fourier series is
[tex] \frac{2}{\pi} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{\sin{nx}}{n} (-1^n + 1) [/tex]
what do they mean by integrate the series? Does it mena i should integrate the argument of this sum? ANd how would one find a convergent series for the function g(x) =x??
Please help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yep, under certain conditions you can integrate a series term by term. E.g.

Taylor series for [itex] \frac{1}{1+x} [/itex] with [itex] \mod{x}<1 [/itex] is

[tex] \frac{1}{1+x}=1-x+x^{2}-x^{3}+x^{4}-... [/tex]

and converges. Integrating it term by term one gets a convergent series for [itex] \ln\left(1+x\right) [/itex].

Daniel.

BTW, where din that [itex] \frac{1}{n} [/itex] from integrating [itex] \sin nx [/itex] go?

but how would the ln(1/1+x) relate to my problem?? DO you mena i am supposed to expand the sin or cos by taylor series?>?

i have edited to include that 1/n of the sine

is my FOurier Series correct? The back of my book states something else:
[tex] \frac{4}{\pi} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{\sin{2k-1}x}{2k-1} [/tex]

im not sure how they got this...

how does what is in the text post #3 relate to waht i got?

It is similar in that i do have the sine part except what about the -1^n +1 part ? It appears the book has assumed n to be even ... why??
Also why has the book gotten 2k-1 instead of n? If n is supposed to be even then why is 2k-1, an odd number, used as n in teh same argument?

1. What are differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe how a quantity changes over time, based on the rate of change of that quantity and its current value. They are commonly used to model and analyze natural phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What types of problems can be solved with differential equations?

Differential equations can be used to solve a wide range of problems, including population growth, chemical reactions, heat transfer, and motion of objects. They are also used in fields such as fluid mechanics, electrical circuits, and finance.

3. What are the different types of differential equations?

There are many types of differential equations, but some of the most common are ordinary differential equations (ODEs), which involve a single independent variable, and partial differential equations (PDEs), which involve multiple independent variables.

4. How are differential equations solved?

There are several methods for solving differential equations, including separation of variables, substitution, and using the Laplace transform. Some differential equations can also be solved numerically using computer software.

5. What are the applications of differential equations in real life?

Differential equations have numerous applications in real life, such as predicting population growth, designing efficient heating and cooling systems, and optimizing traffic flow. They are also used in fields like economics to model market trends and in biology to study the spread of diseases.