1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Equations

1. Nov 2, 2005 #1
    Find the Fourier Series for f(x) =1 on the interval 0<= x <= pi in terms of [itex] \phi_{n} = \sin{nx} [/itex]. Bu integrating this series find a convergent series for the function g(x) =x on this interval assuming the set {sin nx} is complete
    Ok for the FOurier Coefficients
    [tex] c_{n} = \frac{\int_{0}^{\pi} f \phi \rho dx}{\int_{0}^{\pi} \phi^2} dx [/tex]
    this is how it is in my test
    rho is suppsod to be the weight
    ok for the numerator
    [tex] \int_{0}^{\pi} \sin{nx} dx = \frac{1}{n} [- \cos{nx}]_{0}^{\pi} = (-1)^n + 1 [/tex]
    for hte denominator
    [tex] \int_{0}^{\pi} (\sin{nx})^2 dx = \frac{\pi}{2} - \frac{\sin{2n \pi}}{4} =\frac{\pi}{2} [/tex]
    so the fourier series is
    [tex] \frac{2}{\pi} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{\sin{nx}}{n} (-1^n + 1) [/tex]
    what do they mean by integrate the series? Does it mena i should integrate the argument of this sum? ANd how would one find a convergent series for the function g(x) =x??
    Please help!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yep, under certain conditions you can integrate a series term by term. E.g.

Taylor series for [itex] \frac{1}{1+x} [/itex] with [itex] \mod{x}<1 [/itex] is

[tex] \frac{1}{1+x}=1-x+x^{2}-x^{3}+x^{4}-... [/tex]

and converges. Integrating it term by term one gets a convergent series for [itex] \ln\left(1+x\right) [/itex].

Daniel.

BTW, where din that [itex] \frac{1}{n} [/itex] from integrating [itex] \sin nx [/itex] go?

4. Nov 3, 2005 #3
    but how would the ln(1/1+x) relate to my problem?? DO you mena i am supposed to expand the sin or cos by taylor series?>?

i have edited to include that 1/n of the sine

is my FOurier Series correct? The back of my book states something else:
    [tex] \frac{4}{\pi} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{\sin{2k-1}x}{2k-1} [/tex]

im not sure how they got this...

5. Nov 3, 2005 #4
    how does what is in the text post #3 relate to waht i got?

It is similar in that i do have the sine part except what about the -1^n +1 part ? It appears the book has assumed n to be even ... why??
    Also why has the book gotten 2k-1 instead of n? If n is supposed to be even then why is 2k-1, an odd number, used as n in teh same argument?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?