Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Differential Equations

1. Nov 2, 2005 #1
    Find the Fourier Series for f(x) =1 on the interval 0<= x <= pi in terms of [itex] \phi_{n} = \sin{nx} [/itex]. Bu integrating this series find a convergent series for the function g(x) =x on this interval assuming the set {sin nx} is complete
    Ok for the FOurier Coefficients
    [tex] c_{n} = \frac{\int_{0}^{\pi} f \phi \rho dx}{\int_{0}^{\pi} \phi^2} dx [/tex]
    this is how it is in my test
    rho is suppsod to be the weight
    ok for the numerator
    [tex] \int_{0}^{\pi} \sin{nx} dx = \frac{1}{n} [- \cos{nx}]_{0}^{\pi} = (-1)^n + 1 [/tex]
    for hte denominator
    [tex] \int_{0}^{\pi} (\sin{nx})^2 dx = \frac{\pi}{2} - \frac{\sin{2n \pi}}{4} =\frac{\pi}{2} [/tex]
    so the fourier series is
    [tex] \frac{2}{\pi} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{\sin{nx}}{n} (-1^n + 1) [/tex]
    what do they mean by integrate the series? Does it mena i should integrate the argument of this sum? ANd how would one find a convergent series for the function g(x) =x??
    Please help!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yep, under certain conditions you can integrate a series term by term. E.g.

Taylor series for [itex] \frac{1}{1+x} [/itex] with [itex] \mod{x}<1 [/itex] is

[tex] \frac{1}{1+x}=1-x+x^{2}-x^{3}+x^{4}-... [/tex]

and converges. Integrating it term by term one gets a convergent series for [itex] \ln\left(1+x\right) [/itex].

Daniel.

BTW, where din that [itex] \frac{1}{n} [/itex] from integrating [itex] \sin nx [/itex] go?

4. Nov 3, 2005 #3
    but how would the ln(1/1+x) relate to my problem?? DO you mena i am supposed to expand the sin or cos by taylor series?>?

i have edited to include that 1/n of the sine

is my FOurier Series correct? The back of my book states something else:
    [tex] \frac{4}{\pi} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{\sin{2k-1}x}{2k-1} [/tex]

im not sure how they got this...

5. Nov 3, 2005 #4
    how does what is in the text post #3 relate to waht i got?

It is similar in that i do have the sine part except what about the -1^n +1 part ? It appears the book has assumed n to be even ... why??
    Also why has the book gotten 2k-1 instead of n? If n is supposed to be even then why is 2k-1, an odd number, used as n in teh same argument?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook