Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential forms and Euclidean space

1. Aug 25, 2010 #1
    Hi,

I have several subtle and vague questions about differential forms and the term "euclidean space" that perhaps you can help me to work out.

Firts of all, if in cartesian coordinates [tex]dx_i[/tex] is that covector that when acting on a tangent vector [tex]X=X_i\frac{\partial}{\partial x_i}[/tex] of [tex]\mathbb{R}^n[/tex] gives its i-th component [tex]dx_i(X)=X_i[/tex], what is [tex]dr[/tex] in spherical coordinates? If I'm right it should return the component [tex]X_r[/tex] for a vector [tex]X=X_r\frac{\partial}{\partial r}+X_{\theta}\frac{\partial}{\partial \theta}+...[/tex]. That implies that it should be possible to talk about a vector in the direction of [tex]r[/tex] in the [tex](r,\theta,...)[/tex] space (for example the unit vector [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial r}[/tex]). So the space [tex](r,\theta,...)[/tex] is in complete foot of equality with the space [tex](x_1,x_2,...)[/tex] and we can consider vectors in both spaces. So, a final question arises: if both are totally equivalent and only the physical interpretation can make a difference in their meaning, are both euclidean spaces? If the answer is affirmative: should we endow the spherical space [tex](r,\theta,...)[/tex] with the euclidean distance even though it has no physical meaning?

I'm not sure if I had made my points and doubts clear, so please let me know.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted