Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential forms problem

1. Dec 9, 2009 #1

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Introduction to smooth manifolds, by John Lee, page 304. The right-hand side of (c) near the top of the page has a factor [itex]\omega_I\circ F[/itex]. I've been doing the calculation over and over for hours now and I keep getting just [itex]\omega_I[/itex]. Is that F supposed to be there?

Edit: I should add that [tex]\omega_I=\omega(\partial_{i_1},\dots,\partial_{i_k})[/tex], so the left-hand side is just [itex]F^*\omega[/itex].

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2009 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, mmh... (3) can be proven from (1) and (2) and the facts that
    (a) the pullback commutes with the exterior derivative
    (b) the pullback of a 0-form f is f o F.

Granted this,
    [tex]F^*\left(\sum'_I\omega_Idy^I\right)=\sum'F^*\omega_{i_1,...,i_k}F^*dy^{i_1}\wedge ...\wedge F^*dy^{i_k}=\sum'(\omega_{i_1,...,i_k}\circ F) d(y^{i_1}\circ F)\wedge ...\wedge d(y^{i_k}\circ F)[/tex]

4. Dec 9, 2009 #3

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thank you. That solved the problem for me. After a few minutes of verifying the relavant identities, I understand your solution perfectly. But I still don't see what's wrong with my failed attempt. Experience tells me that I'll see it just before I'm done typing this, but if you're reading this I guess it didn't work out that way.

[tex]F^*\omega(X_1,\dots,X_k)=\omega(F_*X_1,\dots,F_*X_k)=\sum_I{}^{'} \omega_I\ dy^{i_1}\wedge\dots\wedge dy^{i_k}(F_*X_1,\dots,F_*X_k)[/tex]

[tex]=\sum_I{}^{'} \omega_I\ \sum_J(F_*X_1)(y^{j_1})\cdots (F_*X_1)(y^{j_k})\ dy^{i_1}\wedge\dots\wedge dy^{i_k}\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial y^{j_1}},\dots,\frac{\partial}{\partial y^{j_k}}\right)[/tex]

Note that

[tex](F_*X_1)(y^{j_1})=X_1(y^{j_1}\circ F)[/tex]

and that this is a component of [itex]X_1[/itex] in the coordinate system [itex]y\circ F[/itex]. We also have

[tex]dy^{i_1}\wedge\dots\wedge dy^{i_k}\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial y^{j_1}},\dots,\frac{\partial}{\partial y^{j_k}}\right)=\delta^I_J[/tex]

where the delta is =0 unless there's exactly one permutation P that takes I to J, and =sgn P if there is. Since [itex]y\circ F[/itex] is a coordinate system too, we can also write

[tex]d(y^{i_1}\circ F)\wedge\dots\wedge d(y^{i_k}\circ F)\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial (y\circ F)^{j_1}},\dots,\frac{\partial}{\partial (y\circ F)^{j_k}}\right)=\delta^I_J[/tex]

So the original expression can be written as

[tex]\sum_I{}^{'} \omega_I\ \sum_J X_1(y^{j_1}\circ F)\cdots X_1(y^{j_k}\circ F)\ d(y^{i_1}\circ F)\wedge\dots\wedge d(y^{i_k}\circ F)\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial (y\circ F)^{j_1}},\dots,\frac{\partial}{\partial (y\circ F)^{j_k}}\right)[/tex]

[tex]=\sum_I{}^{'} \omega_I\ \sum_J d(y^{i_1}\circ F)\wedge\dots\wedge d(y^{i_k}\circ F)(X_1,\dots,X_k)[/tex]

which is everything we want, except that [itex]\omega_I[/itex] hasn't changed. I still don't see what I've done wrong, so I'll post this so you can point and laugh.

5. Dec 10, 2009 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can't really write this because if F:M-->N, then F*w is a k-form on M, while w is a k-form on N. So the LHS is a map M-->R and the RHS is a map N-->R. So it is important to keep track of the point p in M at which the map of the LHS is evaluated. If you follow the definition of F*w given by Lee on page 303, you will agree that when evaluated at p in M, the equation you meant to write is actually

[tex](F^*\omega)_p(X_1|_p,\dots,X_k|_p)=\omega_{F(p)}(F_*(X_1|_p),\dots,F_*(X_k|_p))[/tex]

and then when you expand the RHS, you will have

[tex]\sum_I \omega_I(F(p))\ dy^{i_1}|_{F(p))}\wedge\dots\wedge dy^{i_k}|_{F(p))}(F_*(X_1|_p),\dots,F_*(X_k|_p))
    [/tex]

etc.

6. Dec 10, 2009 #5

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thank you again. I understand now.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook