Any recommendations for a Differential Geometry book?

In summary, a senior undergrad math major is seeking recommendations for a Differential Geometry book for self-study. One recommendation is Elements of Differential Geometry by Millman & Parker, which covers both local and global theories of curves, surfaces, and manifolds. Another recommendation is Differential Forms and Connections by R. W. R. Darling or Differential Geometry: Curves - Surfaces - Manifolds by Kühnel or Riemannian Geometry by do Carmo. Alternatively, Introduction to smooth manifolds by John M. Lee and Riemannian manifolds: an introduction to curvature by the same author are also suggested for a more comprehensive approach. The individual expresses gratitude for the suggestions and notes that they have plenty of reading material
qspeechc
Hi everyone.

I am a senior undergrad math major and I'm looking for a Differential Geometry book to self-study. I have studied most/all of the other undergrad topics: algebra; real and complex analysis; point-set topology; etc.
Any recommendations? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
whatever book you try, make sure it cover the manifold approach, since its the very heart of geo-diff

Elements of Differential Geometry by Millman & Parker. Covers the usual local and global theories of curves and surfaces as well as manifolds.

Ok, thanks Daverz. Dr Carlson's review on amazon.com has convinced me to get this book. Can you recommend a book to follow this one?

qspeechc said:
Ok, thanks Daverz. Dr Carlson's review on amazon.com has convinced me to get this book. Can you recommend a book to follow this one?

Differential Forms and Connections by R. W. R. Darling
Differential Geometry: Curves - Surfaces - Manifolds by Kühnel
Riemannian Geometry by do Carmo

Or you could go more in the direction of manifolds, topology, or differential equations.

Introduction to smooth manifolds, by John M. Lee. And Riemannian manifolds: an introduction to curvature, by the same author. Both are excellent. The latter covers connections, covariant derivative, parallel transport and curvature. The former covers everything else: Manifolds, tensor fields, Lie groups, differential forms, integration on manifolds, etc.

Likes Jianphys17
Thank-you Daverz and Fredrik. Looks like I have plenty of reading!

What is differential geometry?

Differential geometry is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of curves and surfaces in higher-dimensional spaces. It uses techniques from calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations to analyze and understand geometric objects.

What is the purpose of a differential geometry book?

A differential geometry book serves as a comprehensive reference for the study of curves, surfaces, and their higher-dimensional generalizations. It provides a rigorous introduction to the fundamental concepts and techniques of the subject, as well as applications in areas such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

What are some key topics covered in a differential geometry book?

A differential geometry book typically covers topics such as curves and their properties, surfaces and their curvature, manifolds and their differentiable structures, and Riemannian geometry. Other topics may include Lie groups, connections and covariant derivatives, and applications to physics and other fields.

What level of mathematical background is required to understand a differential geometry book?

A strong foundation in calculus, linear algebra, and multivariable analysis is necessary to understand a differential geometry book. Some knowledge of differential equations and abstract algebra may also be helpful, but not always required.

What are some recommended differential geometry books for beginners?

Some recommended books for beginners in differential geometry include "Elementary Differential Geometry" by Barrett O'Neill, "Differential Geometry of Curves and Surfaces" by Manfredo Do Carmo, and "Introduction to Smooth Manifolds" by John M. Lee. These books offer clear explanations and examples to help readers build a strong understanding of the subject.