1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Geometry, easy question, weird hint making me doubt myself

1. Nov 11, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2yuj4fr.png

2. Relevant equations

From my notes: [tex](\psi_{*}v)_{k}(x)=\sum_{i=1}^{n}v_{i}(x)\frac{{{{{\partial}}}}{\psi_{k}(x)}}{{x_{i}}}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Okay so i) is fine (ignoring the typo in the question) but I'm a bit confused about ii)

I don't see any need to bore people with the details but I simply computed [itex](\psi_{*}v)(x)[/itex] and then did the same for [itex]w[/itex] from the definition and got exactly what I wanted. My question is, is there something I've missed i.e. is there a good reason for that hint to be there? My problem is that if it's as easy as it looks, then I don't see why he would feel the need to give us a hint and then I don't see how using the hint would help get me the wanted answer.

Bear in mind this is assessed to vagueness is wanted.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?