1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Geometry Homework

1. Feb 26, 2007 #1
    (1) The gradient of a differential function f: S --> R is a differentiable map grad f: S --> R^3 which assigns to each point p in S a vector grad f(p) in the tangent space of p s.t.

<grad f(p), v> at p = dfp(v) for every v in the tangent space Tp(S)

(a) If E, F, G are the coefficients of the first fundamental form in a parameterization X: U a subset o R^2 --> S, then grad f on X(U) is given by

grad f = [(df/du *G - df/dv *F)/(EG - F^2)]*dX/du + [(df/dv *E - df/du *F)/(EG - F^2)]*dX/dv

- Oh man, i'm really lost on this one. My book didn't really cover this too much, and I'm not sure what all the notation means.

(b) If you let p in S be fixed and v vary in the unit circle, ie |v| = 1 in Tp(S), then dfp(v) is maximum iff v = grad f/|grad f|

(c) if grad f is nonzero at all points of the level curve C = {q in S | f(q) = constant}, then C is a regular curve on S and grad f is normal to C at all pojnts of C.

Notation: S is a regular surface, ie. a manifold. X is a mapping from the uv plane to the surface S such that it is differentiable and a homeomorphism. Tp(S) is the tangent plane of p for a given p in S.

(2) Show that at a hyperbolic point (a point who Gaussian curvature is less than zero), the principal directions bisect the asymptotic directions.

Pf.

I have that the asymptotes are indeed the asymptotic directions and via the Dupin indicatrix, i see that principal directions e1 and e2 which are eigenvectors for our curvatures k1 and k2 which determine K do indeed bisect the asymptotes, but I don't have no godly reason why they do.

(3) Let C be a subset of a regular surface S with Gaussian curvature K > 0. Show that the curvature k of C at p satisfies:

k is greater than or equal to min (|k1|, |k2|)
    where k1 and k2 are principal curvatures of S at p.

Pf.

Again, kinda stuck like the previous problem

(4) Show that the mean curvature H at p in S is given by:

H = 1/pi * int from 0 to pi (kn(theta)) d(theta) where kn(theta) is the normal curvature at p along a direction making an angle theta with a fixed direction.

- What exactly is normal curvature? My book uses the term at will and I don't understand what it means in this context?

(5) Show that the sum of normal curvatures for any pair of orthogonal directions, at a point p in S, is constant.

- ????????????????

(6) Prove that the absolute value of the torsion T at a point of an asymptotic curve, whose curvature is nowhere zero, is given by:

|T| = sqrt(-K) where K is the Gaussian curvature of the surface at a given point.

Sorry for not showing any work I've done, but I'm really really stumped on these problems.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?