Differential Geometry Homework

In summary, the conversation covers various topics related to differential functions, regular surfaces, and curvature on surfaces. Notable points include the definition of the gradient of a differential function, the relationship between the coefficients of the first fundamental form and the gradient, the fixed point and unit circle conditions for maximum dfp(v), the properties of regular curves on surfaces, the relationship between principal directions and asymptotic directions at a hyperbolic point, the minimum curvature of a subset of a regular surface with positive Gaussian curvature, the definition of normal curvature and its use in calculating mean curvature and torsion on asymptotic curves.
InbredDummy
(1) The gradient of a differential function f: S --> R is a differentiable map grad f: S --> R^3 which assigns to each point p in S a vector grad f(p) in the tangent space of p s.t.

<grad f(p), v> at p = dfp(v) for every v in the tangent space Tp(S)

(a) If E, F, G are the coefficients of the first fundamental form in a parameterization X: U a subset o R^2 --> S, then grad f on X(U) is given by

grad f = [(df/du *G - df/dv *F)/(EG - F^2)]*dX/du + [(df/dv *E - df/du *F)/(EG - F^2)]*dX/dv

- Oh man, I'm really lost on this one. My book didn't really cover this too much, and I'm not sure what all the notation means.

(b) If you let p in S be fixed and v vary in the unit circle, ie |v| = 1 in Tp(S), then dfp(v) is maximum iff v = grad f/|grad f|

(c) if grad f is nonzero at all points of the level curve C = {q in S | f(q) = constant}, then C is a regular curve on S and grad f is normal to C at all pojnts of C.

Notation: S is a regular surface, ie. a manifold. X is a mapping from the uv plane to the surface S such that it is differentiable and a homeomorphism. Tp(S) is the tangent plane of p for a given p in S.

(2) Show that at a hyperbolic point (a point who Gaussian curvature is less than zero), the principal directions bisect the asymptotic directions.

Pf.

I have that the asymptotes are indeed the asymptotic directions and via the Dupin indicatrix, i see that principal directions e1 and e2 which are eigenvectors for our curvatures k1 and k2 which determine K do indeed bisect the asymptotes, but I don't have no godly reason why they do.

(3) Let C be a subset of a regular surface S with Gaussian curvature K > 0. Show that the curvature k of C at p satisfies:

k is greater than or equal to min (|k1|, |k2|)
where k1 and k2 are principal curvatures of S at p.

Pf.

Again, kinda stuck like the previous problem

(4) Show that the mean curvature H at p in S is given by:

H = 1/pi * int from 0 to pi (kn(theta)) d(theta) where kn(theta) is the normal curvature at p along a direction making an angle theta with a fixed direction.

- What exactly is normal curvature? My book uses the term at will and I don't understand what it means in this context?

(5) Show that the sum of normal curvatures for any pair of orthogonal directions, at a point p in S, is constant.

- ??

(6) Prove that the absolute value of the torsion T at a point of an asymptotic curve, whose curvature is nowhere zero, is given by:

|T| = sqrt(-K) where K is the Gaussian curvature of the surface at a given point.

Sorry for not showing any work I've done, but I'm really really stumped on these problems.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd really appreciate it if someone could provide any hints or help me understand them better. Thank you!

1. What is Differential Geometry?

Differential Geometry is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of curves and surfaces using calculus techniques. It involves the study of geometric objects that are defined by smooth functions and their derivatives.

2. What are some real-life applications of Differential Geometry?

Differential Geometry has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is used to model and analyze surfaces in 3D computer graphics, to study the motion of particles in physics, and to understand the shape of objects in engineering designs.

3. What are some key concepts in Differential Geometry?

Some key concepts in Differential Geometry include curvature, geodesics, and the Gaussian and mean curvatures. Curvature measures the amount by which a curve deviates from being a straight line, and it is essential in understanding the behavior of surfaces. Geodesics are the shortest paths between two points on a surface, and the Gaussian and mean curvatures describe the local and global shape of a surface.

4. How is Differential Geometry related to other branches of mathematics?

Differential Geometry is closely related to other branches of mathematics such as topology, differential equations, and linear algebra. It also has connections to physics, particularly in the study of spacetime in general relativity.

5. What are some useful resources for learning Differential Geometry?

There are many books, online courses, and video lectures available for learning Differential Geometry. Some popular resources include "Elementary Differential Geometry" by Andrew Pressley, "Differential Geometry of Curves and Surfaces" by Manfredo P. do Carmo, and the online course "Differential Geometry for Everyone" by John Baez and Derek Wise.