1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential geometry hypersurface problem - need help starting

1. Oct 12, 2007 #1
    differential geometry hypersurface problem - need help starting!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data[/b

Let [tex]f\in C^{\infty}[/tex][tex](R\R^{2})[/tex] and let S be the set of points in [tex]R\R^{3}[/tex] given the graph of f. Thus, [tex]s={{(x,y,z=f(x,y))|(x,y)\in[/tex][tex]R\R^{2}}[/tex].

a) Show that this set of points can be viewed as a regular level surface.

b) Let X=(x,y,z) be a point on this surface. Find a basis for the tangent space TxS.

c) Give a cover for this surface.

2. Relevant equations

Ehm. Not really "equations", per se. We will need the coordinate basis for R3 which is [tex]\partial[/tex]x, [tex]\partial[/tex]y, [tex]\partial[/tex]z.

3. The attempt at a solution

I am soo, so confused. I guess our F=f(x,y). To show that something is a regular level surface, I believe that we have to show that not all partial derivatives vanish at the point x on the surface. If we had an actual f(x,y) I would compute F*, the differential, and show that it is not simultaneously 0 at some point x on the surface. But, we don't have an explicit f(x,y). So I have no idea how to show this, or to show equivalently, the the mapping from TxU (for our open set U) to T[tex]_{F(x)}[/tex]S is surjective.

I am TOTALLY lost as to how to come up with a basis. It seems that we should compute the kernel of F* and its basis, but I'm not clear on what we do with this basis.

If I could figure out parts a and b, I MIGHT be able to figure out part c. I know that a cover is the union of surface patches. But then I'd have to start by making coordinate surface patches first... would I be defining some map or something??

I'm terribly confused. :yuck: If anyone can help that would be marvelous!
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No. A "level curve" for a function f(x,y) would be a curve in the xy-plane. In order that a surface in 3 dimensions be a level surface, it must be of the form F(x,y,z)= constant. In this case, given z= f(x,y), you know that z-f(x,y)= 0.

What can you say about the partial derivatives of z-f(x,y)?

Given that the surface is defined by z= f(x,y), any tangent vector is of the form [itex]\vec{i}+ f_x\vec{k}[/itex] or [tex]\vec{i}+ f_y\vec{k}[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?