1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Geometry problem

1. Apr 20, 2005 #1
    I'm trying to demonstrate the following proposition:

Let [tex]\vec{\alpha}(s)[/tex] be a natural parametrization of an arc C. Then:

[tex]\vec{\alpha}(s+h)=\vec{\alpha}(s)+\left(h-\frac{\kappa^2h^3}{6}\right)\hat{t}+\frac{1}{2}\left(\kappa h^2+\frac{\left(\partial_s\kappa\right)h^3}{3}\right)\hat{n}+\frac{1}{6}\kappa\tau h^3 \hat{b}+O(h^4)[/tex]

where [tex]\kappa[/tex] is the curvature, [tex]\tau[/tex] is the torsion, [tex]\hat{t}[/tex] is the unit tangent vector, [tex]\hat{b}[/tex] is the unit binormal vector and [tex]\hat{n}[/tex] is the unit normal vector.

I understand this is demonstrated by expanding [tex]\vec{\alpha}(s+h)[/tex] in Taylor series. However, I don't know how to expand a vectorial function in Taylor series. Obviously, after expanding it's only matter of applying the Frenet ecuations to the derivatives of [tex]\vec{\alpha}(s)[/tex]. Then please help me saying:

HOW TO EXPAND THE VECTORIAL FUNCTION IN ORDEN TO GET THE RESULT?.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2005 #2
    Please try to help me!

4. Apr 21, 2005 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[tex]
    f(\vec{a} + \vec{x}) = f(\vec{a}) + (\vec{x} \cdot \nabla)f(\vec{a}) + \frac{1}{2} (\vec{x} \cdot \nabla)^2f(\vec{a}) + \cdots
    [/tex]

One way of seeing this is to slice it down into a single-dimensional Taylor series. For example, after selecting [itex]\vec{a}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{x}[/itex], you can define [itex]g(t) = f(\vec{a} + t \vec{x})[/itex] which is a function of t alone, and find its Taylor series.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?