1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Geometry

1. Nov 17, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Using the curve [itex]\vec{a}[/itex](u,v)= (u,v,uv) for all (u,v) ε R^2

Find the matrix for d[itex]\vec{N}[/itex] in the basis of {[itex]\vec{a}[/itex][itex]_{u}[/itex],[itex]\vec{a}[/itex][itex]_{v}[/itex]}
    2. Relevant equations
    Well first off i found the partial derivatives
    [itex]\vec{a}[/itex][itex]_{u}[/itex] which is 1,0,v, while [itex]\vec{a}[/itex][itex]_{v}[/itex] is 0,1,u
    Then using those i found the normal vector which i calculated as [itex]1/\sqrt{v^{2}+u^{2}+1}[/itex] (-v,-u,1)

3. The attempt at a solutionNow this is where i get lost. Our book does not explain this very well at all. It just shows going fron N to dN with no explanation. I tried using the jacobian matrix to calculate the derivative but I'm not sure if this is the right approach. Most of the examples don't have a matrix from so i Know i'm doing something wrong.

The problem is a set from kbw0RwT.png for reference. I need dN to move on to find the second fundamental forms and so forth

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2013 #2
    Actually could i bring out the 1/sq u^2... out of the jacobian matrix then use the matrix to find the vector or no? so only the -v,-u,1 would be getting partially derived in the matrix?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted