1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential K-Forms

1. Dec 6, 2011 #1
    This is more a concept question than an actual homework problem but why is it more or less meaningless to define differential k-forms on Rn in this case of k > n?

I'm not really sure why this is so, but I might guess that since two dxis are the same in the product of such terms, then that whole term equals 0. If that's the case, is a k-form with k > n just the same as a k-form with k=n?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, that is the case but no, a k-form with k> n is not "just the same as a k-form with k= n". What is true is that there are NO k-forms with k> n. In fact, one can show that in n-dimensional space, there exist [itex]\begin{pmatrix}n \\ k\end{pmatrix}[/itex] k-forms.

For example, if n= 1, there exist one 0-form, the empty form, and 1 1-form, dx. If n= 2, there exist one 0-form, two 1 forms, dx and dy, and one 2 form, dxdy. If n= 3, there exist one 0-form, three 1 forms, dx, dy, and dz, three 2-forms dxdy, dydz, and dzdx, and one 3-form, dxdydz.

4. Dec 6, 2011 #3
    Okay. Could you please show that there exist [itex]\begin{pmatrix}n \\ k\end{pmatrix}[/itex] k-forms, or otherwise direct me to the proof of this?

5. Dec 6, 2011 #4
    So I found this quote that seems to explain what I'm asking about:

The only problem is that I don't know what "deg xI > n" means. What, specifically, is "deg"?

Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook