Differential Mode Gain: Positive Gain With -Vid/2?

In summary, the conversation discusses a differential amplifier where the output is taken from collector two. The calculation of differential mode gain using both inputs (-Vid/2 and Vid/2) results in a positive gain for -Vid/2 and a negative gain for Vid/2. However, a spice simulation shows that the output is always positive. The conversation then explores possible explanations for this discrepancy, such as the operation of Q2 and the use of virtual grounds in the circuit. The speaker also shares their own calculation using a differential mode half circuit and notes that the expected negative input should result in a positive output. They seek clarification on their understanding of the gain calculations.
FOIWATER
Gold Member
In the following diff amp, only one output is taken from collector two.

When I calculate the differential mode gain using the second differential input (-Vid/2) I get a positive gain. When I calculate the differential mode gain using the first differential input (Vid/2) I get a negative gain.

A spice simulation of this circuit shows that the output is positive.

I would then expect to get a negative gain for (-vid/2) and a positve gain for (vid/2)

Does someone know why that is not the case?

Attachments

• pic.png
    pic.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 446
Engineering news on Phys.org
Not sure how you are calculating gain. The basic operation is that when V+ is greater than V-, Q2 will try to turn off.

I made a small signal circuit out of the above using a differential mode half circuit. with the input as -Vid/2, I have -Vid/2 = ib(rpi + (1+b)*Ree/2) <-- (virtual ground between Ree/2 for diff mode.)

Vodm = -beta*ib*(Rc||Rcc/2) <--- another virtual ground between Rcc/2

Solving for adm = vodm/vid I get a positive number.

However, I would expect my negative input to be multiplied by a negative gain and give a positive output.

The same is true for Vid/2, I would expect it to be multiplied by a positive gain.

Am I missing things?

Thanks for the feedback

What is differential mode gain?

Differential mode gain refers to the amplification or gain of a signal in a circuit that has two inputs and one output. It is a measure of how much the output signal changes in response to a change in the input signal.

How is differential mode gain calculated?

Differential mode gain is calculated by dividing the change in output voltage by the change in input voltage. It is usually expressed in decibels (dB) or as a ratio (e.g. 2:1).

What is the significance of having positive gain with -Vid/2?

A positive gain with -Vid/2 means that the output signal is amplified and inverted by half of the input voltage. This can be useful in certain applications where an inverted signal is required.

How is differential mode gain different from common mode gain?

Differential mode gain refers to the amplification of the difference between two input signals, while common mode gain refers to the amplification of the average of two input signals. Differential mode gain is desired in most circuits, while common mode gain is usually minimized or eliminated.

Can differential mode gain be negative?

Yes, differential mode gain can be negative if the output signal is inverted and its magnitude is less than the input signal. This can happen in circuits with negative feedback or when the input signals are out of phase.