1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential notation help

1. Sep 27, 2005 #1
    A question: is it possible (maybe handling differentials, I don't know) to have in the same formula these two expressions: [tex] \frac{dp}{dq}[/tex] and
    [tex] \frac{dq}{dp}[/tex]?

I think it is illogical. It would imply that at same time p is a function of q and q is a function of p. That seems nonsense to me. Am I allright?

Thanks for any answer.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Isn't differential notation great? :rolleyes:

There are several routes to happiness, but they all will give the same answer in the end (which is the reason such notation continues to be popular -- brevity is surprisingly important in mathematical notation).

One route to happiness is to have p be a function of q, and if the conditions of the inverse function theorem are satisfied, we can (locally) define a function [itex]\hat{q}[/itex] with the property that [itex]\hat{q}(p(q)) = q[/itex], and then we can say that [itex]dq/dp[/itex] really "means" [itex]d\hat{q}/dp[/itex].
  4. Sep 27, 2005 #3
    I have not here the paper where I found the formula that contained both
    derivatives, but tomorrow I will get it and I will post it here with all its context. Then I will ask you, Hurkyl, if said formula is aceptable on grounds of the explanation that you kindly have posted. (Excuse my english).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?