Implicit Differentiation: How to Differentiate Functions with Respect to x

In summary, the differentiating of a functionimplicitly uses the notation d/dx(sin x + cos y = 5). The notation is the same whether or not the bracket goes around the whole thing or just the left hand side. The notation is also the same whether or not the function is differentiated with respect to x.
nokia8650
If one was to differntiate a function implicity eg.

sin x + cos y = 5,

would one show this by writing:

d/dx(sin x + cos y = 5)

= and then differentiate with respect to x? I wasnt sure whether or not the bracket goes around the whole thing or just the left hand side.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
nokia8650 said:
If one was to differntiate a function implicity eg.

sin x + cos y = 5,

would one show this by writing:

d/dx(sin x + cos y = 5)

= and then differentiate with respect to x? I wasnt sure whether or not the bracket goes around the whole thing or just the left hand side.

Thanks

Hi nokia8650! :smile:

Definitely the whole thing!

Whatever you do to one side of an equation, you must do to the other.

:smile: That's what equality is all about! :smile:

Hmm, I never thought about that. Now I'll know it's correct
However, I use this notation
[tex]\sin{x}+\cos{y}=5\mid\cdot{d/dx}[/tex]
it's just seems more convenient
That's exactly the same thing isn't it?

I know it's a REALLY silly question but I just wanted to make sure

Last edited:
armis said:

Hi armis! :smile:

(are you the same person as nokia8650?)

I don't really understand that.

Can you show how the next couple of lines would go, so that we can see it in actual use? :smile:

Hi tiny-tim

Nop, I am not the same person :)

Sure
We get
[tex]\cos{x}=0[/tex] if y is not a function of x

Most of our lecturers do that so I was wondering why bother writting ()

Hi armis! :smile:

It looks weird to me …

but if your lecturers do it, I suppose it's ok.

I think writing the () is better because it avoids any possibility of ambiguity …

also, that vertical stroke may be clear on a whiteboard, where the lecturer can make it really large, but it's not so clear on paper or in a book. :frown:

I find it weird you haven't seen it :) Well, maby I am the weird one and it may just be a matter of convenience for the lecturers as sometimes they have to write down REALLY a lot of stuff on the whiteboard
I am just so used to it that I could hardly think of writting () :)
But yeah, () avoids any possibility of ambiguity (phew... that was a hard one for me, I am not an english speaker)
Indeed the vertical stroke is larger than the one I showed as I couldn't find one large enough in the LaTeX

What is differential notation?

Differential notation is a mathematical language used to represent the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It uses symbols like dx and dy to represent infinitesimal changes in the independent and dependent variables, respectively.

Why is differential notation important?

Differential notation allows us to express mathematical relationships in a concise and elegant manner. It is especially useful in calculus, where it helps us to understand the rate of change of a function and solve problems involving optimization and motion.

How do you read differential notation?

Differential notation is read as "the derivative of y with respect to x", where y is the dependent variable and x is the independent variable. It can also be read as "the rate of change of y with respect to x".

What are the basic rules of differential notation?

The basic rules of differential notation include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules help us to find the derivative of a function by manipulating its algebraic expression.

Are there any alternate notations for derivatives?

Yes, there are alternate notations for derivatives such as Leibniz notation (dy/dx), Lagrange notation (f'(x)), and Euler notation (Df(x)). These notations are all equivalent and can be used interchangeably with differential notation.