Differential of axb: Solving for a^x^b | Homework Help

In summary: Yes, if y= a^{x^b} then \frac{dy}{dx}= ba^{x^b}ln(a)x^{b- 1}. You used "logarithmic differentiation". If you do that with just y= a^x then ln(y)= x ln(a) so that y'/y= ln(a), y'= y ln(a)= ln(a) a^x. I find it simpler to use that generally. Here, we use the chain rule with u(x)= x^b so that y= a^u. Then y'= ln(a) a^u (u'). Since u= x^b, u'= bx^{b- 1
ninjaduck
Member warned about posting with no effort

Homework Statement

Find the differential of axb

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Really not sure where to start, honestly. Thanks in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
ninjaduck said:

Homework Statement

Find the differential of axb

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Really not sure where to start, honestly. Thanks in advance :)
Show some effort at understanding the problem.

How does a person find a differential?

SammyS said:
Show some effort at understanding the problem.

How does a person find a differential?

In the picture is what I have so far.
Not sure if correct or not.

Attachments

• 11292897_1192663047410453_1521948178_n.jpg
    11292897_1192663047410453_1521948178_n.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 403
ninjaduck said:
That's pretty difficult to read.

It looks like you let ##\displaystyle\ y=a^{\displaystyle x^b}\,,\ ## then found the derivative, ##\displaystyle\ \frac{dy}{dx}\ ##.

So, now to get the differential.

SammyS said:
That's pretty difficult to read.

It looks like you let ##\displaystyle\ y=a^{\displaystyle x^b}\,,\ ## then found the derivative, ##\displaystyle\ \frac{dy}{dx}\ ##.

So, now to get the differential.

Perhaps he/she was being asked to find the derivative, but due to a language issue it came out as "differential".

As I also thought they are similar (derivative and differential), or maybe I'm wrong...?
ninjaduck said:
It seems correct and I have a suggestion that you can differentiate on ##x## instead of ##y## while the process is similar (just a little easy).

tommyxu3 said:
As I also thought they are similar (derivative and differential), or maybe I'm wrong...?

It seems correct and I have a suggestion that you can differentiate on ##x## instead of ##y## while the process is similar (just a little easy).
Yes. That's an excellent point!

When ninjaduck did implicit differentiation, he took the derivative with respect to y, rather than the customary method of taking the derivative with respect to x .

Yes, if [itex]y= a^{x^b}[/itex] then [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}= ba^{x^b}ln(a)x^{b- 1}[/itex].

You used "logarithmic differentiation". If you do that with just [itex]y= a^x[/itex] then [itex]ln(y)= x ln(a)[/itex] so that [itex]y'/y= ln(a)[/itex], [itex]y'= y ln(a)= ln(a) a^x[/itex]. I find it simpler to use that generally.

Here, we use the chain rule with [itex]u(x)= x^b[/itex] so that [itex]y= a^u[/itex]. Then [itex]y'= ln(a) a^u (u')[/itex]. Since [itex]u= x^b[/itex], [itex]u'= bx^{b- 1}[/itex]. Putting those together, the derivative of [itex]y= a^{x^b}[/itex] is [itex]dy/dx= ln(a)\left(a^{x^b}\right)\left(bx^{b-1}\right)[/itex], just what you have.

1. What is the differential of a^x^b?

The differential of a^x^b is given by the formula dy/dx = a^x^b * ln(a) * b.

2. How is the differential of a^x^b derived?

The differential of a^x^b is derived using the chain rule and the power rule. First, we rewrite the function as (a^x)^b and then apply the chain rule to get dy/dx = b * (a^x)^(b-1) * (a^x)' = a^x^b * ln(a) * b.

3. Can the differential of a^x^b be simplified?

Yes, the differential of a^x^b can be simplified to dy/dx = a^x^b * ln(a) * b = b * a^x^b-1.

4. Does the value of a or b affect the differential of a^x^b?

Yes, both the values of a and b affect the differential of a^x^b. The value of a affects the overall scaling of the function, while the value of b affects the rate of change of the function.

5. What is the significance of the differential of a^x^b in real-world applications?

The differential of a^x^b is used in many real-world applications, such as in finance, physics, and biology. It can be used to model exponential growth or decay, as well as various processes that involve continuously changing quantities.