Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential of normal vector

1. Jun 18, 2006 #1
    Are there any facts about the derivative of the normalised normal vector n to a surface embedded in n-dimensional Euclid space? Is it true, for instance, that
    [tex]\frac{\partial n_j}{\partial x^i} = \frac{\partial n_i}{\partial x^j}[/tex]
    The context is as follows. The surface is defined implicitly by a constraint function; there's a Hamiltonian in reduntant coordinates and the canonical Hamiltonian equations of motion for (q,p) ensuring that trajectories lie in the constraint surface. I need to find acceleration [itex]\ddot{q}[/itex]; there the time derivative of n appears. By the way, how could I reformulate this task in the language of differential geometry?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2006 #2
    If the surface is given by [itex]\phi (\vec{r})=const.[/itex] then the normal to the surface is [itex]n_i=(\vec{\nabla}\phi)_i[/itex], it's not necessarilly unit normal, but this is easily reconciled. So, in Cartesian coordinates

[tex]\frac{\partial n_j}{\partial x^i} = \frac{\partial n_i}{\partial x^j}[/tex]

is correct.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2006
  4. Jun 19, 2006 #3
    [tex]\frac{\partial n_j}{\partial x^i} = \partial_i \frac{\partial_j \phi}{(\nabla \phi \cdot \nabla \phi)^\frac{1}{2}} = \frac{\partial_{ij}\phi}{(\nabla \phi \cdot \nabla \phi)^\frac{1}{2}} - \frac{\partial_j \phi \sum_k \partial_k \phi \partial_{ik}\phi}{(\nabla \phi \cdot \nabla \phi)^{\frac{3}{2}}}[/tex]

Thanks for the response! But I can't easily reconcile the second term: it doesn't seem to be symmetric.

5. Jun 24, 2006 #4
    It's not, ignore me when I put the bit about "reconcilitation", I didn't mean to put that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?