Deriving the Differential Position Vector in Cylindrical Coordinates

In summary: The differential position vector is obtained by taking the derivative of the position vector in cylindrical coordinates with respect to time. This can be done geometrically by drawing a diagram or algebraically by converting from Cartesian coordinates. It is important to note that the unit vector ##\hat r## can be expressed in terms of the unit vectors ##\hat x## and ##\hat y##. Additionally, the unit vector ##\hat \theta## can be expressed in terms of ##\hat x## and ##\hat y## as well.
Istiak
Homework Statement
differential position vector
Relevant Equations
vectors, differentiation
I had an equation. $$T=\frac{1}{2}m[\dot{x}^2+(r\dot{\theta})^2]$$ Then, they wrote that $$\mathrm dr=\hat r \mathrm dr + r \hat \theta \mathrm d \theta + \hat k \mathrm dz$$ I was thinking how they had derived it. The equation is looking like, they had differentiate "something". Is it just an equation which came from logic and mind rather than deriving?

Physics news on Phys.org
Istiakshovon said:
Homework Statement:: differential position vector
Relevant Equations:: vectors, differentiation

I had an equation. $$T=\frac{1}{2}m[\dot{x}^2+(r\dot{\theta})^2]$$ Then, they wrote that $$\mathrm dr=\hat r \mathrm dr + r \hat \theta \mathrm d \theta + \hat k \mathrm dz$$ I was thinking how they had derived it. The equation is looking like, they had differentiate "something". Is it just an equation which came from logic and mind rather than deriving?
This is very similar to the question you asked previously about cylindrical coordinates. You should be able to derive that expression either geometrically (by drawing a diagram) or algebraically (by converting from Cartesian).

Likes Istiak
PeroK said:
This is very similar to the question you asked previously about cylindrical coordinates. You should be able to derive that expression either geometrically (by drawing a diagram) or algebraically (by converting from Cartesian).
What I could draw that is It :

1630511980943.png

I think it wasn't correct graph. 🤔 (cylindrical was little bit harder that's why I am not taking a look at that.)

Ow! I got a figure in book.

Screenshot from 2021-09-01 19-07-53.png

Istiakshovon said:
Then, they wrote that $$\mathrm dr=\hat r \mathrm dr + r \hat \theta \mathrm d \theta + \hat k \mathrm dz$$
This is the differential increment in the position vector: How a small change in ##\vec r## relates to small changes in ##r, \theta, z##.

Note that it should be ##d\vec r## on the left hand side.

Likes Delta2 and Istiak
PeroK said:
This is the differential increment in the position vector: How a small change in ##\vec r## relates to small changes in ##r, \theta, z##.

Note that it should be ##d\vec r## on the left hand side.
got the answer... But, book wrote that; that's dr on the LHS.

Istiakshovon said:
got the answer... But, book wrote that; that's dr on the LHS.
The RHS is a vector, so the LHS must be too.

Likes Delta2
Yes the differential position vector comes from the derivative (with respect to time) of the position vector.
The position vector in cylindrical coordinates is $$\vec{r}=r(t)\hat r(t)+z(t)\hat z$$.

Take the derivative of that with respect to time and have in mind that ##\hat r(t)=\cos\theta(t)\hat x+\sin\theta(t)\hat y##. Also have in mind that ##r'(t)dt=dr,\theta'(t)dt=d\theta,z'(t)dt=dz## and that the unit vector ##\hat \theta(t)=-\sin\theta(t)\hat x+\cos\theta(t)\hat y##.

• Love
Likes Istiak
Ah btw, I found a mini problem both with the OP notation and mine notation at post #8, we use the same letter ##r## to denote the position vector and the radius in cylindrical coordinates, i should 've written $$\vec{r}=\rho(t)\hat \rho(t)+z(t)\hat z$$, and the OP I think should write $$d\vec{r}=d\rho\hat\rho+\rho d\theta\hat\theta+dz\hat z$$

What is a differential position vector?

A differential position vector is a mathematical representation of the change in position of an object over a small distance or time interval. It is often denoted as d𝐫 and is used in calculus to calculate the instantaneous rate of change of position.

How is a differential position vector calculated?

A differential position vector is calculated by taking the derivative of the position vector with respect to time. This can be represented as d𝐫 = 𝐫'(t)dt, where 𝐫'(t) is the derivative of the position vector and dt is the small time interval.

What is the significance of a differential position vector in physics?

In physics, a differential position vector is used to calculate the velocity and acceleration of an object. It is also used in the study of motion, forces, and energy. It allows for the precise measurement of an object's position and its changes over time.

Can a differential position vector be negative?

Yes, a differential position vector can be negative. This indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive direction defined by the coordinate system. It is important to pay attention to the sign when using a differential position vector in calculations.

How is a differential position vector different from a position vector?

A position vector represents the position of an object at a specific point in time, while a differential position vector represents the change in position over a small time interval. In other words, a position vector is a single value, while a differential position vector is a rate of change.