Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential precession due to gravitational waves

1. Jun 16, 2015 #1

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

To motivate the question, Andy Strominger recently put out a paper on calculating the Sagnac shift of counterrotating beams due to the angular momentum flux of a passing gravitational wave.

See here: http://arxiv.org/abs/1502.06120.

But consider now two nearby freely falling gyroscopes initially at rest in some background inertial frame and a weak gravitational wave passing by them. Is there a way to compute the differential precession of the gyroscopes due to the angular momentum of the gravitational wave, say by looking at the magnetic part of the Riemann tensor and/or the twist of a congruence of freely falling gyroscopes? Has such a calculation been done in the literature?

To clarify, I don't mean the precession of a single gyroscope relative to the axes of the TT-gauge coordinates.

Furthermore, would there also be a memory effect after the gravitational wave has gone to future null infinity, say in terms of a permanent relative shift of the gyroscopes' axes?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2015 #2

Mentz114

Gold Member

This topic is way beyond my technical ability but the paper you refer to has a section on the memory effect where two inertial objects can be permanently moved apart ( and together ) by a passing energy pulses. I may have misinterpreted that so please correct me if necessary.

I was struck by two possible effects

1. Galaxy formation via collapse of a gigantic hydrogen cloud is affected by sound waves with colossal wavelengths which cause compressed regions where star formation is accelerated. Could GWs do this ?

2. the matter distribution just before transparency could also be affected, imprinting on the CMB.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook