Differential Pulley: Force to Balance Weight W

In summary: As you properly explained before, if both top pulleys were not one solid piece, the weight would slide all the way down until the reach of the rope's loop.This arrangement is commonly used with sprockets and chain (and some internal gears sometimes) to lift heavy loads in mechanical shops.Now i could understand, actually i am really frustrated because is so easy and i was using MOIthank you all.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
Theoric doubt about differential pulley.
Relevant Equations
All below.
1590587778146.png
I am trying to deal with this problem, the question is what is the force to balance the weight W, where the rope don't have weight. The bigger pulley at the top has radius a, and the other, attached to the same axis, has radius 0.9a. The force is applied in one side of the freeling rope.

I could find it:
1590588904498.png

I am not sure about the torques.

Likes etotheipi
Physics news on Phys.org
There seems to be nothing holding up the weight W. The rope to the right of Q is slack, be there force at T or not. So that loops over the small pulley and the rope on the left of W is slack (tension T2 is zero), allowing W to just freefall until the slack is entirely taken up between P and R.

Halc said:
There seems to be nothing holding up the weight W. The rope to the right of Q is slack, be there force at T or not. So that loops over the small pulley and the rope on the left of W is slack (tension T2 is zero), allowing W to just freefall until the slack is entirely taken up between P and R.
I am not sure i get, if it helps, the answer is W/20

I tried by all ways that i could think, i am not sure if all the three pulley will rout, i just came to two equations and three incognits, i can't see any constraint that would help me too, so gave up by this way.

The two upper pulleys are constrained to move at the same angular frequency ##\omega(t)##? at any time instant t?

Can you see the pulleys as levers?
The top pulley gives you certain amount of mechanical advantage (1/0.9).
The bottom pulley always gives you a mechanical advantage of 2.

Likes LCSphysicist
Delta2 said:
The two upper pulleys are constrained to move at the same angular frequency ##\omega(t)##? at any time instant t?
I think not, that was a doubt that i had too, but i think what is the question say by the same axis, maybe want to say the same direction. That can be a case, i will try with the same angular frequency.

Lnewqban said:
Can you see the pulleys as levers?
The top pulley gives you certain amount of mechanical advantage (1/0.9).
The bottom pulley always gives you a mechanical advantage of 2.
The top you say the pulley with radius a?

LCSphysicist said:
I think not, that was a doubt that i had too, but i think what is the question say by the same axis, maybe want to say the same direction. That can be a case, i will try with the same angular frequency.
For the contraption to work, the top pulleys must be solidly joined by a common shaft.
Please, see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_pulley

Likes LCSphysicist, etotheipi and Delta2
Lnewqban said:
For the contraption to work, the top pulleys must be solidly joined by a common shaft.
In which case it becomes a problem involving statics and levers, per your prior post.
The ropes cannot slip through the pulleys, which is perhaps what the dots P and R are trying to convey.

Likes LCSphysicist and Lnewqban
Halc said:
In which case it becomes a problem involving statics and levers, per your prior post.
The ropes cannot slip through the pulleys, which is perhaps what the dots P and R are trying to convey.
As you properly explained before, if both top pulleys were not one solid piece, the weight would slide all the way down until the reach of the rope's loop.

This arrangement is commonly used with sprockets and chain (and some internal gears sometimes) to lift heavy loads in mechanical shops.

diffpulley_20064_lg.gif

• Informative
Likes LCSphysicist, etotheipi and Delta2
Now i could understand, actually i am really frustrated because is so easy and i was using MOI
thank you all

Likes Delta2 and Lnewqban

1. What is a differential pulley?

A differential pulley is a type of simple machine that uses a system of pulleys to lift or move heavy objects. It consists of two or more pulleys connected by a belt or chain, with one pulley larger than the other. This allows for a smaller force to be applied to the larger pulley to lift a heavier weight on the smaller pulley.

2. How does a differential pulley work?

A differential pulley works by distributing the weight of an object over multiple pulleys. The larger pulley has a greater circumference, so the same amount of force applied to the smaller pulley will result in a larger force on the larger pulley. This creates a mechanical advantage, making it easier to lift heavy objects.

3. What is the force required to balance a weight on a differential pulley?

The force required to balance a weight on a differential pulley depends on the weight of the object and the number of pulleys in the system. The formula for calculating the force is F = W/n, where F is the force needed, W is the weight of the object, and n is the number of pulleys.

4. What are the advantages of using a differential pulley?

One advantage of using a differential pulley is that it allows for heavy objects to be lifted with less force. This can reduce the risk of injury for workers and make tasks easier to complete. Additionally, differential pulleys are relatively simple and inexpensive compared to other lifting mechanisms.

5. What are some common uses for a differential pulley?

Differential pulleys are commonly used in various industries, such as construction, manufacturing, and transportation. They are often used to lift heavy objects, such as machinery or building materials. They can also be found in household items, such as window blinds and garage door mechanisms.