What is the Unique Solution Region for (1+y^3)y' = x^2 in the xy-plane?

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving a separable differential equation and the question of whether there is a unique solution for a specific region in the xy-plane. The solution obtained is a fourth degree polynomial, which could potentially have multiple solutions. The conversation then delves into the question of what initial values would give a unique solution.
robierob12
Determine the region in the xy-plane for which

(1+y^3)y' = x^2

This has a unique solution.

-----------------------------------------

Not really understanding what this is asking of me?

I solved this as a seperable diff. Equation.

(1+ y^3)dy = (x^2) dx

y + (1/4)y^4 = (1/3) x^3 + c

3y + (3/4)y^4 = x^3

not sure what this one wants from me...

the general solution to which all the solution curves can be reached from?

any help is appreciated.

Rob

Physics news on Phys.org
The solution you obtained is a polynomial in y. Which typically means that there are multiple y functions (roots) that solve the polynomial. The question is, is there a subset of the xy plane over which all roots are identical.

robierob12 said:
Determine the region in the xy-plane for which

(1+y^3)y' = x^2

This has a unique solution.

-----------------------------------------

Not really understanding what this is asking of me?

I solved this as a seperable diff. Equation.

(1+ y^3)dy = (x^2) dx

y + (1/4)y^4 = (1/3) x^3 + c

3y + (3/4)y^4 = x^3
What happened to the "c"?? If you were to solve for y, since this is a fourth degree equation, you might get 4 separate solutions. For what values of c does this equation have a unique solution? What initial (x,y) values give those values of c?

not sure what this one wants from me...

the general solution to which all the solution curves can be reached from?

any help is appreciated.

Rob

What is a "Differential Region Question"?

A "Differential Region Question" is a type of scientific inquiry that involves comparing data or observations from different regions or locations to identify differences and patterns.

Why is it important to ask "Differential Region Questions" in scientific research?

Asking "Differential Region Questions" allows scientists to understand how different factors or variables may influence outcomes in different regions. This can help to identify patterns and relationships that may not be apparent when studying a single region or location.

What types of data can be used in "Differential Region Questions"?

Any type of data can be used in "Differential Region Questions", including numerical data, qualitative data, and observational data. The key is to compare the same type of data from different regions to identify differences and similarities.

How do scientists select regions to study in "Differential Region Questions"?

Scientists may select regions based on geographical proximity, similar environmental conditions, or specific factors of interest. It is important to choose regions that are comparable and have similar characteristics to ensure accurate comparisons.

What are some potential limitations of "Differential Region Questions"?

One limitation of "Differential Region Questions" is that it may be difficult to control for all variables that could impact the results. Additionally, differences in data collection methods or measurement techniques between regions may affect the accuracy of comparisons.