Differential Signaling for High-Speed Digital Transmission: A Guide by Jason O

In summary: All,In summary, differential mode has better noise immunity than single-ended mode, so you don't need to worry about transmission line effects. You can use Cat-5 cable to forward terminate the RS-485 receiver input, and RS-485 chips can go as fast as 3MHz.
Jdo300
Hello All,

I have a board that needs to send a high-speed digital signal to a second board about 5-6 inches away. The signal itself is just a 5V square wave with a variable pulse width and frequency that could go as high as 3MHz. The second board has an isolated supply and I plan to route the signal to it using a digital isolator (IL610 to be exact). I was first thinking about driving the signal single-ended, but then thought about using a differential signal since I heard that it has much better noise immunity.

The isolator is located on the destination board and I was thinking about using some kind of line driver (differential line driver?) to drive the signal through some twisted-pair wire to the second board. My question is do I need to be concerned about transmission line effects when transmitting in differential mode? does there need to be a termination of some kind like in a single-ended setup or something different?

Thanks,
Jason O

Engineering news on Phys.org
Twisted-pair wire is a excellent way to do it. You can make a differential driver yourself by using an inverter for the second line. When one switches up, the other one switches down, and vice-versa. The noise immunity comes from having a good differential receiver.

For 6 inches of wire in the air, that's about 0.5 nanoseconds of flight time (0.5 x 10e-9 seconds). For wire in air, signals travel pretty close to the speed of light, about 85ps of flight time per inch.

A 3MHz signal has a half-cycle time of 167ns. That means you probably don't have to worry about reflections too much, and shouldn't have to worry about terminating the wiring. If you did want to terminate, probably around 300 ohms (on each side) might work, I think that's about what twisted wire comes close to.

When the waveform switches, the reflections will bounce back and forth every 1ns (counting up and down), and die down pretty quick. You still have 166ns before the waveform will switch again, so it's not a big deal. You usually only have to worry about transmission line effects if the line is long enough so that the reflection time approaches the waveform time.

Jdo300 said:
Hello All,

I have a board that needs to send a high-speed digital signal to a second board about 5-6 inches away. The signal itself is just a 5V square wave with a variable pulse width and frequency that could go as high as 3MHz. The second board has an isolated supply and I plan to route the signal to it using a digital isolator (IL610 to be exact). I was first thinking about driving the signal single-ended, but then thought about using a differential signal since I heard that it has much better noise immunity.

The isolator is located on the destination board and I was thinking about using some kind of line driver (differential line driver?) to drive the signal through some twisted-pair wire to the second board. My question is do I need to be concerned about transmission line effects when transmitting in differential mode? does there need to be a termination of some kind like in a single-ended setup or something different?

Thanks,
Jason O

I think RS-485 may work for that frequency at that short distance. Use Cat-5 cable, and forward terminate with 105 Ohms at the RS-485 receiver input. Double-check the RS-485 chip specs (like from Maxim) to see if they go that fast.

BTW, does your isolator really work to 3MHz?

Jdo300 said:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your help with this. I'll definitely look into the RS-485 IC for a possible differential driver.

@Berkeman,

Yes the Isolators I'm using (IL610 or IL710) can both go over 100Mbps. These aren't like regular isolators. Here's a link to the dataheets:

http://www.nve.com/Downloads/il600.pdf

http://www.nve.com/isopdf/il710.pdf

Wow, fascinating devices. Thanks for the links, Jason. Interesting that they already have about 85 Ohms for the input coil -- would have been nice if it were closer to the 100 Ohms of Cat-5 cable, though.

What is differential signaling?

Differential signaling is a method of transmitting electrical signals using two complementary signals, one positive and one negative. The difference between these two signals is used to represent the original signal, which helps to reduce the effects of noise and interference.

How does differential signaling work?

In differential signaling, the transmitter sends a signal as the difference between a positive and a negative voltage. The receiver then compares the two signals and interprets the difference as the original signal. This method helps to improve the signal-to-noise ratio and reduce errors in data transmission.

What are the advantages of differential signaling?

Differential signaling has several advantages, including better noise immunity, lower power consumption, and higher data rates. It also allows for longer distance transmission without significant signal degradation.

What are some common applications of differential signaling?

Differential signaling is commonly used in high-speed communication systems, such as USB, Ethernet, and HDMI. It is also used in analog-to-digital converters, audio equipment, and other electronic devices that require reliable data transmission.

What are the different types of differential signaling?

There are two main types of differential signaling: single-ended and balanced. Single-ended differential signaling uses one signal and its inverse, while balanced differential signaling uses two complementary signals. Balanced differential signaling is more commonly used due to its better noise immunity and higher data rates.