Meaning of Differential Symbols δ & đ

In summary, the symbols δ and đ (with a slanted line) are used in thermodynamics to represent total and non-exact differentials. The strikethrough on the d is used to show that it is not a total differential. In thermodynamics, these notations are used to indicate if an equation is path-independent (exact differential) or path-dependent (non-exact differential). This is similar to the concept of distance traveled being path-dependent while altitude difference is path-independent. In thermodynamics, internal energy is path-independent while work done is path-dependent.
ak416
What do the following differential symbols mean: δ, đ (the line is actually more slanted)

Ive seen these come up in my thermal physics class. For example δU or đW. Is the little delta equivalent to writing the uppercase "triangle" delta? Also i think the d with the line has something to do with dependence on direction. Am i right?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It has to do with being a 'total differential' (such as dU) or not (such as q and w in dU = dq + dw) which is why a strikethrough is sometimes used for the d of dw and dq, to emphasize that those are not total (or exact) differentials. A total differential is path-independant, the others aren't.

In thermodynamics, that notation typically means that you haven't got an exact differential.

Well i know when writing an equation such as dU, we must write: dU = ∂U/∂Q *dQ + ∂U/∂W *dW . But in this case What's W and Q. If they call dW "Work done on system" and dQ "Heat added to system" Then i guess its meaningless to call W something right? And if dQ = T*dS I guess we can call Q = TS ? Sorry if this is getting off the "math" topic but if anyone can answer this physical question it will help also. But as for the math, is there any connection between what I said and what you call a non exact differential? Like what do you mean path independent? Heat and Work can only move in one dimension (they're scalars)...

or by path dependent you mean that dQ and dW depend on each other and you can't keep one constant without changing the other?

I'll give a physical 'story' to show the difference between path dependence and independence. Say you're climbing a mountain and you're going from place A (at 100m heigth) to place B (at 600m heigth). The overall altidude difference you'll have accomplished is path-independent. It doesn't matter which 'road' (=> path) you use to go from A to B, you'll always have risen 500m. The distance you've traveled is path-dependen however! You can take the shortest way from A to B or you could 'go arround the mountain' using a twisty road instead, but you'll have done a lot more kilometers :wink:

Now back to thermodynamics: the interal energy is path-independent (and thus an exact differential). It doesn't matter which 'path' a system follows to go from situation A to situation B, the net change in interal energy will be constant. The work done however, is path-dependent (and thus not an exact differential) since you can achieve the change in situation in many manners, not all requiring the same amount of work to do.

Thermodynamics has been a while for me, I hope I didn't say anything stupid here and that it's a bit clear to you now :smile:

1. What does the symbol δ represent in mathematics?

The symbol δ is used in mathematics to represent the concept of a small or infinitesimal change in a variable. It is often used in calculus to indicate the limit of a function as the independent variable approaches a specific value.

2. What is the meaning of the symbol đ in physics?

In physics, the symbol đ is used to represent the partial derivative of a function with respect to a specific variable. It is commonly used in equations describing rates of change or motion.

3. Can the symbols δ and đ be used interchangeably?

No, the symbols δ and đ have different meanings and cannot be used interchangeably. While both represent changes in a variable, δ indicates a small or infinitesimal change while đ represents a partial derivative.

4. How are the symbols δ and đ related to each other?

The symbol đ is derived from the lowercase letter d, which is used to represent differentiation in mathematics. The symbol δ, on the other hand, is derived from the Greek letter delta which is commonly used to represent change. In physics, the symbol đ is often used in place of δ to avoid confusion with other symbols such as the delta function.

5. Are there any other meanings for the symbols δ and đ?

Yes, these symbols have various meanings in different fields of study. In chemistry, δ is used to represent the partial charge of an atom or molecule, while đ is used to represent the bond angle between atoms. In engineering, δ is often used to represent a change in a variable or a small displacement, while đ can represent a unit vector in a specific direction.