Exploring Differential Topology: Uncovering Answers to Fundamental Questions

In summary, the Inverse Function Theorem states that if f:R^m -> R^m has rank m, then f is a local diffeomorphism. Inverse function theorem: If f:R^m -> R^m has rank m, then f is a local diffeomorphism. My proofs probably seem longer than they need to be, but I wanted to be completely rigourous. Are they correct?
andytoh
I had to ask myself two simple problems in differential topology:

1) Why is the rank of a diffeomorphism (on a manifold of dimension m) of rank m?

2) Why is a chart on a manifold an embedding?

These are actually quite obvious so textbooks don't even bother proving it. So I've attached my own proofs (note that the Inverse Function Theorem goes only one way, so I couldn't use it to prove #1). My proofs probably seem longer than they need to be, but I wanted to be completely rigourous. Are they correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A diffeomorphism is by definition invertible. Why would you want to invoke the inverse function theorem?

A chart on is an open set U<M, and a homeomorphism f:U-->R^n. Are you asking why f is an embedding, or why the inclusion of U in M is an embedding?

Last edited:
matt grime said:
A diffeomorphism is by definition invertible. Why would you want to invoke the inverse function theorem?

Inverse function theorem: If f:R^m -> R^m has rank m, then f is a local diffeomorphism.

The theorem does not state the converse, so I only considered using it, but was not allowed to and so didn't.

matt grime said:
A chart on is an open set U<M, and a homeomorphism f:U-->R^n. Are you asking why f is an embedding, or why the inclusion of U in M is an embedding?

The former. I just didn't want to type all that mess in my intro. My pdf file is more clear. You got me thinking about the latter question as well, and I worked out a quick proof in minutes and am sure I got it right (the coordinate expression of the inclusion map turns out to be just the identity and so the Jacobian matrix is just the identity matrix, making the inclusion map an immersion).

Last edited:
I still don't see what you're getting at in 1). If f is a diffeo then it is invertible with differentiable inverese. The Jacobian of the inverse is the inverse of the Jacobian, so it had better have rank m otherwise it isn't invertible. (Just linear algebra).

I mistyped in the other part - I shouldn't have said homemoprhism - f is just a smooth map onto some assigned open subspace of R^n, not necessarily all of R^n itself - could be the open ball or something, but that is diffeomorphic with R^n so it doesn't matter.

Anyway, the point is that f is a diffeo onto its image (that f is invertible on its image is part of the definition of f), so that's an embedding.

Last edited:
Yes, I did precisely everything you said in my proofs, but I had to use charts because f is acting on a manifold, and not on R^n. You are bypassing the use of charts and giving the intuitive proof. I was just being more rigorous (perhaps somewhat superfluous as well, but that's my style). By the way, in the second question, I never said "differentiable manifold" but only "manifold", so f could not be assumed to be a diffeomorphism onto its image but only a homeomorphism onto its image, so I had to prove separately that f was an immersion to prove that it is an embedding.

Thanks for your alternative quick approach.

Last edited:
For 1, how have I bypassed charts? The use of charts is implicit because rank is a purely local definition.

In 2, what precisely are the definitions you're using?

Last edited:
matt grime said:
In 2, what precisely are the definitions you're using?
Let (U,f) be a chart on a topological manifold M. f is by definition a homemorphism onto a subset of R^m.
embedding = homeomorphism onto its image that is an immersion (i.e. has rank m).

Actually, f has to be differentiable in order for it to be an immersion, so you are right that f is differentiable, but I could not assume that its inverse is differentiable (a differentiable homeomorphism is not necessarily a diffeomorphism). So I had to use the homeomorphism property of f to prove that it has rank m in order to prove f is an embedding. Anyways, it was trivial to do that so the problem is finished.

1. What is differential topology?

Differential topology is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties and structures of differentiable manifolds, which are geometric spaces that can be smoothly mapped onto other spaces.

2. What are some fundamental questions in differential topology?

Some fundamental questions in differential topology include: What are the topological invariants of a given manifold? How can we distinguish between different manifolds? How can we classify manifolds? What is the relationship between topology and geometry?

3. What are some applications of differential topology?

Differential topology has many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. It is used in the study of fluid mechanics, quantum field theory, and general relativity. It also has applications in computer graphics and computer vision.

4. How does differential topology differ from other branches of topology?

Differential topology focuses on differentiable manifolds, which have a smooth structure that allows for the concept of differentiability. This is in contrast to other branches of topology, such as algebraic topology, which focus on algebraic properties of spaces.

5. What are some important tools and techniques used in differential topology?

Some important tools and techniques used in differential topology include differential forms, vector fields, Lie groups, and Morse theory. These are used to study the geometric and topological properties of manifolds and to solve problems in the field.