This webpage title could be: Understanding Differentials in Fluid Mechanics

In summary, the conversation discusses the physical meaning behind differentials in a free body diagram in a fluid mechanics class. The notation γδxδyδz represents the weight of a small element, where γ is the specific weight and δx, δy, δz are the differential lengths in the x, y, z directions. This notation is used to make the calculation more intuitive, rather than rigorous.
txdw16
Hey all,

I just started a fluid mechanics class and I'm having trouble interpreting the physical meaning behind differentials in this free body diagram.

fluid-particle.jpg

For example, γδxδyδz. I know gamma is the specific weight of the block of fluid. And I know δ is the differential length in x, y, or z directions. But together as an expression what does this mean?

My thought process is:

λ=ρg

and it makes sense that the weight of the "block" of fluid is

λ*Volume

But wouldn't that look something like this:

∫∫∫λδxδyδz

If you're not integrating, then what does it mean when they're just hanging there?
Also, is there a difference between the notation δx and dx?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The δ notation usually means you are considering a very small element. So the integral is not needed because the element is so small (probably you will take the size to 0 in some specific way at the end of the calculation) that you don't need the integral since γ will not vary inside this small volume.

Okay thanks for the response that makes sense. But as far as the geometric meaning goes, what does γδxδyδz mean?

In my head I think "The change in specific weight in any direction".

But that phrase makes me think more along the lines of:
[itex]\frac{\partial{\gamma}}{\partial{x}}\hat{i} + \frac{\partial{\gamma}}{\partial{y}}\hat{j} + \frac{\partial{\gamma}}{\partial{z}}\hat{k}[/itex]

I'm probably just confusing myself. Any insight would be appreciated

This is an example of "physics math" that is meant to be more intuitive than rigorous math required to analyse the situation would have been, but it is only intuitive after you have grasped its ways. ##\delta x## means a "small change in ##x##", and it may also mean ##dx## whenever that is convenient. ## \delta x \delta y \delta z ## is the volume of a (small) box with (small) sides ## \delta x, \ \delta y, \ \delta z##. And because things are as small as we need them to be, ##\lambda## does not change significantly within the box, the weight of the box is just ## \lambda \delta x \delta y \delta z ## We ignore all of the inaccuracies of this description and say that things are equal when they are approximately equal.

txdw16 said:
Okay thanks for the response that makes sense. But as far as the geometric meaning goes, what does γδxδyδz mean?

In my head I think "The change in specific weight in any direction".

But that phrase makes me think more along the lines of:
[itex]\frac{\partial{\gamma}}{\partial{x}}\hat{i} + \frac{\partial{\gamma}}{\partial{y}}\hat{j} + \frac{\partial{\gamma}}{\partial{z}}\hat{k}[/itex]

I'm probably just confusing myself. Any insight would be appreciated

You had the correct insight in the OP, and then you started thinking too much.

The volume of the small element shown in the picture is indeed δxδyδz. We assume that because the dimensions of this element are so small, the specific weight γ can be treated as a constant. Hence, the weight of this tiny element is expressed as δw = γδxδyδz.

1. What is a differential in mechanics?

A differential is a mechanical device that is used to transfer power from an engine to the wheels of a vehicle. It allows the wheels to rotate at different speeds while still maintaining power and torque to the wheels.

2. Why is a differential necessary in a vehicle?

A differential is necessary in a vehicle to compensate for differences in wheel rotation when turning corners. Without a differential, the wheels would be forced to rotate at the same speed, causing difficulties in turning and potential damage to the tires and drivetrain.

3. How does a differential work?

A differential uses a set of gears to transfer power from the engine to the wheels. As the wheels rotate at different speeds, the gears inside the differential adjust to maintain the proper power and torque to each wheel.

4. What are the types of differentials in mechanics?

The most common types of differentials are open differentials, limited-slip differentials, and locking differentials. Open differentials are the most basic and allow for different wheel speeds. Limited-slip differentials use clutches or gears to distribute power evenly between the wheels. Locking differentials lock the wheels together, allowing for equal power distribution and better traction in off-road or low-traction situations.

5. How can a differential be maintained?

To maintain a differential, it is important to regularly check and change the differential fluid, which helps to keep the gears lubricated. It is also important to monitor the condition of the differential and its components, such as the gears, bearings, and seals, and replace them as needed to prevent any potential issues or failures.