Find the Particular Solution for ds/dt = 14t^2+3t-3 with s=124 at t=0

In summary, we are given the derivative of the s-function and asked to find the particular solution using the given initial condition. By integrating the given function and evaluating the constant using the initial condition, we get the particular solution s(t) = 14/3t^3 + 3/2t^2 - 3t + 124.
hallie
Find the particular solution determined by the given condition:

ds/dt = 14t^2+3t -3; s=124 when t = 0

Could someone please point me in the right direction to start this problem? I'm not even sure if I titled this post correctly. :P

Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hallie said:

ds/dt = 14t^2+3t -3; s=124 when t = 0

Could someone please point me in the right direction to start this problem? I'm not even sure if I titled this post correctly. :P

Thank you!
Hint: \(\displaystyle \int \frac{ds}{dt}~dt = \int ( 14t^2+3t -3)~dt\)

And the LHS is equal to s(t).

-Dan

You could also set it up using definite integrals by switching the dummy variables of integration and using the given boundaries as the limits:

\(\displaystyle \int_{124}^{s(t)} \,du=\int_0^t 14v^2+3v -3\,dv\)

hallie said:

[tex]\frac{ds}{dt} \: =\: 14t^2+3t -3;\;\; s=124 \text{ when }t = 0.[/tex]

Could someone please point me in the right direction to start this problem?

It seems that you are new to this type of problem.
Do you understand the given statements?

We are given the derivative of the s-function
and we are asked to find the s-function.

You should know that we will integrate the given function,

[tex]\int(14t^2 + 3t - 3)\,dt \;=\;\tfrac{14}{3}t^3 + \tfrac{3}{2}t^2 - 3t + C[/tex]

We must evaluate that constant, using the given initial condition.
[tex]\text{When }t = 0, s = 124.[/tex]

So we have: [tex]\tfrac{14}{3}(0^3) + \tfrac{3}{2}(0^2) - 3(0) \:=\:124 \quad\Rightarrow\quad C = 124[/tex]

Answer: .[tex]s(t) \;=\;\tfrac{14}{3}t^3 + \tfrac{3}{2}t^2 - 3t + 124[/tex]

What is a differential problem?

A differential problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the derivative of a function at a specific point. It is used to calculate the rate of change of a quantity over time or space.

What are some common applications of differential problems?

Differential problems have various applications in the fields of physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They can be used to model and analyze systems that involve changing rates, such as population growth, motion, and chemical reactions.

How do you solve a differential problem?

To solve a differential problem, you first need to identify the type of differential equation it is (such as ordinary, partial, or exact) and then use appropriate methods and techniques to solve it. This may involve integration, substitution, or using specific formulas.

What is the difference between a differential equation and a differential problem?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function with its derivatives, while a differential problem is a specific instance of a differential equation that requires solving for the value of the function at a particular point or interval. In other words, a differential problem is a type of differential equation.

Why are differential problems important in science?

Differential problems are important in science because they allow us to model and analyze real-world phenomena that involve changing rates. They provide a powerful tool for understanding and predicting behavior in various fields, from physics and engineering to economics and biology.