1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiate a Polar Curve

1. Sep 10, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the slope to the tangent line to the polar curve r^2 = 9 sin (3θ) at the point (3, π/6)

2. Relevant equations

dy/dx = (r cos θ + sin θ dr/dθ)/(-r sin θ + cos θ dr/dθ)

3. The attempt at a solution

So I have no issues with taking r^2 = 9 sin (3θ) and taking the root to get r = 3√(sin 3θ)
    and then subbing that into the equation.

My problem is that it's only one case, and the derivative of a square root of a trig equation is messy. I think I'm missing something - any assistant would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2014 #2
    (i.e. what about the case where r = -3sqrt(sin 3theta)?

4. Sep 10, 2014 #3

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

I think this is one of those things where only one of the answers you get will make sense with the situation:

If r can equal +- (stuff) that means the function is mirrored about the center of your polar function. I didn't graph it but I think this is like a clover thing, right? Lemme draw it.

It's not very well drawn, but I think it gets the point across. Polar functions are weird lol

Attached Files:

5. Sep 11, 2014 #4
    You were right. I followed it through, and because the two were opposites of each other, I had one case where it was a negative divided by a positive, and the other was a positive divided by a negative, getting the same answer.

Thanks!

6. Sep 11, 2014 #5

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

No problem

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted