Differentiate e^fx: Solving 2xe^(2x)

In summary, the derivative of e^fx is e^fx multiplied by the derivative of fx, which is 2xe^(2x). To solve for the derivative, you can use the chain rule by taking the derivative of the exponent and multiplying it by the original function. The answer cannot be simplified any further. An example of solving for the derivative is f(x) = e^(2x), where f'(x) = 2xe^(2x). Knowing the derivative of e^fx is important because it allows us to find the rate of change of a function, which is useful in various fields of science and mathematics.
CrossFit415
f(x)= xe^(2x)

So I applied the product rule
(f • g) = x • e(^2x) + e^(2x) • 1
= xe^(2x) + e^(2x)
=2xe^(2x)

And got this as my final answer.

Would I need to use chain rule? Did I do this correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
CrossFit415 said:
f(x)= xe^(2x)

(f • g)' = x • e(^2x) + e^(2x) • 1
You forgot to take the derivative of e^(2x)

1. What is the derivative of e^fx?

The derivative of e^fx is e^fx multiplied by the derivative of fx, which is 2xe^(2x).

2. How do you solve for the derivative of e^fx?

To solve for the derivative of e^fx, you can use the chain rule. First, take the derivative of the exponent, which in this case is 2x. Then, multiply it by the original function e^fx. This will give you 2xe^(2x) as the final answer.

3. Is there a simplified form for the derivative of e^fx?

No, the derivative of e^fx cannot be simplified any further. The answer of 2xe^(2x) is the most simplified form.

4. Can you provide an example of solving for the derivative of e^fx?

Sure, let's say we have the function f(x) = e^(2x). Using the chain rule, the derivative would be f'(x) = e^(2x) * (2x)' = 2xe^(2x).

5. Why is it important to know the derivative of e^fx?

Knowing the derivative of e^fx is important because it allows us to find the rate of change of a function at any given point. This can be useful in many areas of science and mathematics, such as in optimization problems and in determining the slope of a curve.