1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiate this function

1. Sep 30, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement
    Differentiate with respect to (x) the following function...

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=62329&stc=1&d=1380565485

*As you can see I attempted logarithmic differentiation but am unsure if I'm doing it right at the moment. Could someone send me an image of their calculations?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2013 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your attachment does not appear on my screen. Why don't you just type out the function?

Also: I don't think you should expect anyone to send you an image of their calculations. That is not supposed to be how this forum works.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  4. Sep 30, 2013 #3
    Sorry, its the following:

[(e^x)*sin(x)]/[(x^2)*cos(x)]

5. Sep 30, 2013 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Please show us the work that you did.

6. Sep 30, 2013 #5
    Here is my working out so far, not sure if its correct though

Attached Files:

7. Sep 30, 2013 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I see one mistake, right when you took the natural log of both sides ln(ex) = x, not xln(ex) as you have. The work below that is correct, though, so you must have intuitively used the correct value. Your answer looks fine.

One way to check your work is to use the quotient rule to see if you get the same result.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted