Solve "Impossible Integral" with Bessel Functions

• Thread starter madmike159
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the existence and computability of the integral of x^x with limits, as well as the concept of computability in mathematics. It is mentioned that while there is no formula for the integral in terms of elementary functions or common functions like Bessel functions, it can be computed numerically. Additionally, it is noted that x^x is a continuous function and therefore integrable, and that there exist functions with x^x as their derivative. The conversation also mentions a specific approach to calculating the integral and its convergence.
madmike159
Gold Member
I know this is asked about alot, but can you work out [tex]\int[/tex][tex]x^{x}[/tex]. My teacher was talking about impossible integrals and he mentioned one which could be solved with the Bessel functions. I know there is no function which differentiates to x^x, but if you integrated with limits could you get a numerical answer?

Mathematics news on Phys.org

The integral of x^x exists in a mathematical sense (so there is a function that has x^x as derivative), but there is no formula for it in terms of elementary functions or other common functions, like Bessel functions.

The definite integral can be computed numerically for any function (that is integrable and computable).

My calculator has an integral function on it. If I integrate x^x between 1 and 2 it gives me an answer of 2.05046... does that mean it is computable?

I probably shouldn't have mentioned it, since "computability" is a rather theoretical restriction. All the functions you will ever encounter in practice, and cerainly all you can enter into your calculator, are computable.

The point is that there are numbers and functions which can be defined in a mathematical sense but cannot be computed to arbitrary precission by a normal computer ("Turing machine"). A detailed discussion can be found http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computable_function" .

Last edited by a moderator:

[itex]y= x^x[/itex] is itself a continuous function. That means that [itex]x^x[/itex] certainly is intgrable: there exist some differentiable function having [itex]x^x[/itex] as its derivative. That function (plus a constant) is the anti-derivative of [itex]x^x[/itex]. It is not any "elementary" or regularly defined function, as yyat says but it certainly exists. If we call such a function "I(x)", then it is true that
[tex]\int_a^b x^x dx= I(b)- I(a)[/tex]
and any numerical method of integration will approximate that.

Last edited by a moderator:

The integral with limits 0 and 1 has a particularly nice infinite series as does 1/x^x, try it.

Using Bernoulli's approach to this integral (x^x=e^(x*ln(x))=1+x*ln(x)+x^2*(ln(x))^2/2...), I found an infinite sum that converges very quickly but requires the computation of the gamma function and the upper incomplete gamma function. A special case in which the two cancel is the integral between 0 and 1 which is the one mentioned by lurflurf.

Last edited:

1. How do Bessel functions help solve impossible integrals?

Bessel functions are specialized mathematical functions that are particularly useful for solving integrals that involve oscillatory or exponential functions. They allow us to simplify complex integrals and express them in terms of a series of Bessel functions, which can be easily evaluated.

2. Can Bessel functions be used to solve any type of integral?

No, Bessel functions are specifically designed to solve integrals that involve oscillatory or exponential functions. They may not be effective in solving other types of integrals, such as those involving polynomials or trigonometric functions.

3. Are there any limitations to using Bessel functions in integral calculations?

While Bessel functions can be very helpful in solving integrals, they do have some limitations. For example, they may not work well for integrals that involve functions with multiple variables or complicated boundary conditions.

4. How do I know when to use Bessel functions in my integrals?

There is no hard and fast rule for when to use Bessel functions in integral calculations. However, they are often useful when you encounter integrals with oscillatory or exponential functions, such as those found in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields.

5. Are there any alternative methods for solving "impossible" integrals?

Yes, there are other methods for solving integrals that may be more appropriate depending on the specific integral you are trying to solve. Some common techniques include substitution, integration by parts, and series expansions. It's always a good idea to consider multiple approaches and choose the one that best fits your particular problem.