1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiating 2^(x^2)

1. Apr 17, 2012 #1
    I'm trying to differentiate 2^(x^2), but I'm getting a factor of two out and can't figure out why. I approached the question as follows..

y=2^(x^2) , so y=(2^x)^x
    u=2^x y=u^x

du/dx = (2^x)ln2
    dy/du = xu^(x-1)
    = x(2^x)^(x-1)
    = x(2)^((x^2)-x)

So dy/dx =
    [x(2)^((x^2)-x)]*[(2^x)Ln2]

However, on the mark scheme it says when x=2, the gradient should be 64ln2. Using my derivative, at x=2 the gradient comes out at 32ln2. Can anyone help me find where I've gone wrong? Much appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2012 #2
    [itex]2^{x^2}[/itex] is a composition of functions [itex]f(x) = 2^x[/itex] and [itex]g(x) = x^2[/itex]. You know that [itex]f'(x) = 2^x \ln 2[/itex] and [itex]g'(x) = 2x[/itex]

There is a formula for derivative of composite functions. [itex](f \circ g)'(x) = f'(g(x))g'(x)[/itex]. This is just another form of the chain rule. After blindly pasting the functions we already have, we get [itex]2x \cdot 2^{x^2} \ln 2[/itex]

I can't see what error you made as those formulas are not very readable. Try using latex.

4. Apr 17, 2012 #3

Curious3141

Homework Helper

That's wrong right there. The rule [itex]\frac{d}{dx}x^n = nx^{n-1}[/itex] ONLY applies when n is a constant. If n is a variable like x or a function of x, the rule simply does not work.

Your best bet here is to use Chain Rule as hamsterman mentioned.

5. Apr 17, 2012 #4

hotvette

Homework Helper

Another approach is to take the (natural) log of both sides of y = 2x2 and differentiate implicitly.

6. Apr 18, 2012 #5
    Thanks guys, got it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook